NEVER buy this

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site

Ok went to my best LFS. Kinda wanted a plate coral, but it wasn't available.
I called earlier every store but this one to see if there was any plate coral left. No. Damn.
Then i saw it...the beautiful, majestic goniopora..XXL ..for a decent price!
I knew it would be hard...but didn't read much on it. Asked the experienced guy/owner about behavior, feeding, aggressiveness. Said to me that i should maintain good calcium and lighting. Fine...already good. Said it wasn't aggressive at all. Trusted him. Feeding is like all other LPS. Ok. Fine. Said it wasn't difficult.
Allll right...took it. Dooooooh !
Read wetwebmedia ( too late ) about this goniopora. Argh..THE MOST DIFFICULT CORAL ever to keep in a tank ! Even expert can't understand how it can thrive in crappy water in the sea and can't live more than 2 years in an aquarium. Gulp. Told a friend..said his ( and he has a superb tank with like 3 years of expertise ) goniopora died within a month.
Even Bob Fenner says that those species ARE NOT supposed to be maintained in a tank and should be avoided.
If this coral is wounded, it leads to diseases quickly and can spread over others LPS. Rahhh ! They release invisible toxin quite deadly too. My bubble
wasn't really hot this morning after spending the night in the same tank, even with 14" separating the 2 corals. Super aggressive coral.
Must eat LIVE plankton every night. CANNOT TOLERATE MORE THAN 2-3 PPM OF NITRATES !
I called the guy this morning and he accepted a trade ! Tnx man !
Finally got a brain and feel much, much better.
First time i bought on impulse since..well a long time ago..so advice to noobs, research. Mhhh...not exactly : RESEARCH A LOT !
Unlike me yesterday, be conscientious about those species that do not belong in a tank and will surely die.
I feel lighter now.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i doubt it since he traded it in...gonipora is definitely one of the most beautiful and mysterious corals out there. i killed one myself following similar advice to that given to you by the LFS owner. what kind of brain did you get in exchange?

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
yeah the guy was cool since i dunno any stores that accept returns. Returning it could have damaged it, and it's a weak specie.
Altough he gave me false information, i'm thankful that i could get another animal.

This is what i got :

Just opened up in my "too blue" tank.

I think we should put this post as a sticky, just to warn people that no one should buy a goniopora, even with a 999999 $ system.