New 10 Gallon SW Cycle Questions

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
So i've decided i wanted to start a SW tank, i've read up a lot about it and decided i was going to start small (even though that's not advisable for begginers, i've been reading a lot and hopefully i can handle it). But i do have some cycle questions. First off i'll list what i have sitting in the tank right now.

10 Gallon Tank (typical dimensions)
Aqua Clear 200 filter, No Carbon insert (good?) hang on the back kind
Aqua clear 201 power head (enough for 10 Gal.?)
Crushed Coral
5.5 Lbs of Live rock.
Some salty water. (tested with my "relative gravity" hydrometer)

i've read lots about the cycling process and procedure, but i've got a different question (sort of). The 10 gallon tank it is in currently is not in the best shape, and i've got another tank i'd much rather have it in (also 10 gal). It's got a fitting hood, properly and aesthetically pleasing caulking...and so on.
As of now i haven't put in the crushed coral, so would it be unwise to change tanks approximately two weeks into the cycling process?

I realize that it will prolong the cycling process, but if i use all the same stuff, water, etc. Will it really make it that much longer? or is it strongly discouraged?

Also, i'm unsure whether or not i should add a fish into the cycling process, i've heard it speeds it up...although it may be costly, i was thinking a hardy damsel or something? I also appreciate that adding a fish before the tank change would be a bad idea, and i would do so after.

Any thoughts?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
1) i don't see any reason not to change the tank at this time, and i doubt that it will slow the cycle down if you keep all the same stuff

2) do not add a fish. there is absolutely no reason to do so

3) do you have the proper test kits to know when the cycle is complete?

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If it's being used, how are you going to use it now? You won't want to disturb these things once they're up.

If you're cycling off live rock, then you have no problems. There is no point in adding a damsel, and adding one will only make people dislike you as cycling with damsels is definitely not very cool. If you don't want to keep it long term, don't buy it

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Fair Enough.

There's a breeding pair of convicts in the tank that i no longer want anymore, and my brother does. So he's got a 20 gallon he'd like to put them in (on their own, dont worry). So he's going to take them off my hands, leaving me with a much better condition 10 gallon.