NEW 15GL... freshwater...

Jun 15, 2005
califronia
ok i just bought my first 15 gallon fish tank...along with all the needed supplies...i bought it from my marine biology teacher at school....
so what i want to know is what kind of freshwater fish are really exotic and cool...that i could put in this tank.....im turning it into a saltwater tank...in about 2 months...when im getting a 60 gallon tank..from my teacher...but untill then its freshwater...any ideas for cool fish...

i allready have a 3 gl brackish water tank.....with 1 green spotted puffer, whos name is EMO PUFFLEROY...

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
doh, I misunderstood you. Well you can't keep any big fish in a 15 gallon really. Hmmm, I personally like dwarf cichlids like rams, and kribs as they are good community fish, rams have lots of personality, and are very nicely colored - but you wouldn't want to use any of them until the tank is fully cycled as rams tend to be sensitive little buggers. Or...you could do a tetra tank with several types of tetras. My personal favorites are cardinal, orange san rio, and rummy noses, glowlight, and emporer. Rummy noses can be a little sensitive too so save those until the tank is cycled. And...Don't forget about the snails and/or shrimp. I would stay away from ghost shrimp though cause they die rather quickly in the aquarium

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Did the tank have fish in it before it was given to you? If it was dry then you'll need to get that tank started cycling. Check out this thread on starting up a tank: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19568

As far as the fish go. You could get a little school (say 3 or 4) of Corydoras...Tiny catfish, they're very fun and active fish. I'd get an apple snail www.applesnail.net and then a school of a small fish. Find one that you like. If it was my tank I'd get about 5 harlequin rasboras. Or you can look for a tetra that doesn't get over 2 inches that you like such as the ones that discus girl suggested. You could check out the profiles section?? http://www.myfishtank.net/reviews/showcat.php/cat/20

Jun 15, 2005
califronia
see thats the kind of fishs i wanted....i wanted cat fish...they have about 10 of them at an exotic fish store..and they are only about 5 bucks..i think ill do that...and for the tank being occupied with other fish..yes he had a texas cichlid in it...and a mutant cichlid that was breed somehow...but the texas CH. didnt attack the little one...wierd huh??

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Plants will help a lot...not really as much with oxygen as keeping your nitrate level down and the fishies happy.

What I was after was actually if the tank was just taken down and then put up at your place so the filter media all stayed wet...or if it was all dry when you got it. What kind of filter does it have in it etc.

You really shouldn't add fish right away if it wasn't wet and you just quickly set it up within a day or so because there are a lot of things that go on with your water chemistry and you wouldn't want to just pop some fish in there and then they'd die a few weeks later.

Corydoras are a big favorite :) They stay pretty small (which is good for your tank size), dont bother other fish and they're fun to watch. If you watch closely they kind of wink...its very cool. They mostly live near the bottom of the tank (even though sometimes they swim up to the top quickly and back down when they're playing)...so thats why I suggested a school of other fish that will probably hang out more near the top of the tank.

Jun 15, 2005
califronia
no we i get out at 2:30 everday...and we cleaned it up...since i TA for him 6th period...so it was only like a 20 min gap between cleaning it out really quick...and brining it home....and its been flitering now with freshwater...not tap...for about 2 days now...and i actually just got back from the fish store...i bought a small albino oscar...its soo cool...i put the bag in the water for about 20 mins...and i just put him in....he seems to be doing fine...hes just checking out the tank....ill be sure to get back to u guys on how hes doing....
his fins are soo cool...ill try and get some pictures up of him....

Jun 15, 2005
califronia
yeah...its a little baby one...prolly about the size of a ping pong ball....im only gonna keep it in the 15gl untill it starts to get to big...and by that time ill have my 65 gl.....and then im gonna turn the 15gl into a community of silvertip sharks...im gonna grow them for my teacher...who has a...CHECK THIS OUT!!! 400gallon tank!! at his house!! he is a marine biology teacher...and yeah....he lives in this huge house!!! fish tanks everywhere! its awsome...

Jun 15, 2005
califronia
and im ready for all this too....but i know im leaving for usa nationals on sunday...and wont be back untill next sunday...and the guy at the fish store...is getting me 6 little baby red bellied pirhanas...they are gonna be tight...