New 20 Gal.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
So, I just got a 20H and I'm really excited! I'm going to fishless cycle it...but I want some opinions on what to have in it. I was thinking a bala shark, angel, 3? corycats, and maybe a small school of danios? Would that be too much? Any opinions/ideas?

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
hmm,maybeit will be a little overstocked.Maybe u can do it either with bala or angels.i would reccomend you a small schooling fish.20g might be too small for bala,they are active fish,they need space.Lol,i dont have any experince on angels,i dont have 1.If you go with angels i think small sized danios are not reccomended.............

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Definitely avoid bala sharks. They do best with a group of three or more, for which you'd need a really big tank, like a hundred gallons or more, I believe. I don't know that I'd do the angel in that size tank either. Since you're going to fishless-cycle it (Yay for you!!) you'll have several weeks to get your stocking plan together, so no sweat. You'll get all kinds of ideas. :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Bala sharks really don't do well in smaller tanks. They get to 12" and really need a lot of swimming room. It will only live a short and unhappy life in a 20g tank. We had some in a 55g tank before we knew any better. Within a year they were 8 or 10" and seemed cramped.

Contrary to the "shark" name, they're probably one of the most shy and skittish fish there are.

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
If i were you i would probably go with something along the following lines in a 20 gal:
5-6 cories
7 black neons
1 honey or dwarf gourami
and a couple of ottos

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
Danios arent really a "schooling" fish, they like groups but they dont really do the actually schooling action. I know that white clouds do sometimes swim with danios...then again my guppies swim along with my danios....so do my ottos....or rather my danios swim with them. Danios are hyperactive fish that will do whatever they please. Then again, thats half the fun.