"new" 29 --ideas?

Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
i'm going to be setting up a 29g reef in the coming weeks. it's not really new, it's growing out of my 10g disaster-area nano-reef which needs to be dealt with severely. that 10g has been around for about 6 months, and everything in it was in a 20g for 2 years before that. the only fish i ever had was 1 yellow damsel, which recently died spurring on this new project.

i just can't deal with the 10g. when i had everything in the 20, it looked GREAT. everything seemed healthy, i had nice clean sand, healthy corralline growth, perfect levels, etc., but downsizing into the 10g sparked a gradual decline in appearance of everything, and it is just too much of a pain to maintain. it requires about 10x the maintenance of all my other tanks combined, and i'm just not willing/able to get up for that. i don't know how you nano guys do it! *crazysmil

so i have an empty 29g, and i'm going to move the reef over.

i'm not looking for anything big here, just maybe some ideas to think about. what kinds of fish are appropriate for a small tank like this? i don't have any expensive corals or anything and most of what is in there now (in addition to all the live rock) are various types of snails, limpets, and a couple hermits. so options are pretty open.

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
I dont know if you like clownfish but i do and a pair would be cool and a goby paired up with a pistol shrimp is pretty cool to watch i hear. I like the scooter blennys alot but they eat pods so maybe you could make your 10 gallon a sump or your 20 gallon, that would be 59 gallon tank, besides size, you could have more smaller fish because of the extra volume of water.