New 30gal tank

wackii

New Fish
Aug 21, 2006
Hi all, I'm totally new here and pretty new in this hobby as well. I'm currently have 10G tank that house my 2 blood parrot. After lots of reading here, I have an idea of cycling the tank and so on. But still, I need lots of advices I can get. On my first tank, I did not cycle my tank or anything like that (didn't even know about it). All I did was bought the tank and the accessories, set it up and let it run for a day. Then purchased my parrots. Luckily, nothing wrong with them. No disease or anything like that with the fish or tank. Matter of fact, I got lucky. The 2 parrots are female and male. They laid eggs like 4 times in less than 8 months (I guess they're getting busy :) ). The eggs never hatch though.

My 2 blood parrot are now outgrowing my tank. I need to upgrade the tank to 30G. I've already purchased the tank and lighting. I want to have the white sand subtrate in the tank instead of gravel. Below are a few questions that I have:

1. Is HD still carrying White Playsand? (I'm thinking of getting that since it's cheap and it's safe)
2. I'm thinking of getting the AquaClear filtration system. Should I consider any other brand?
3. I have not clue of what heater to get. Any suggestion on that?
4. What test kit should I get? I'm close by Petsmart (prefer to go there).
5. Any other tips that I should know about? Please let me know.

From the reading here, it looks like the fishless cycle process is complicated. I might need help along the way. Thanks for all the info here. Keep up the good work. And thank you all in advaced.

Al,

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
first a 30gal is definetly too small for blood parrots long term, but i would defintely reccomend the AC line ofr filtedr but the Fluval canisters are even better, i would go with a via-aqua metal heater as they wont burn out when left on during a w/c and they wont be damaged by fish...EVER.
for test kits i like the aquarium pharmicuticals line but any liquid based test kit should be fine.

cheers

-Java

Fishless cycles really aren't that complicated, just get a good test kit for your daily tests, which I see you already plan on. A good one to use in my opinion is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit, here is a link to see what it looks like. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarian Freshwater Master Test Kit - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store

As for filtration I'm not familiar with AquaClear, I actually own one but have never taken it out of it's package, lol. I know that if you have the money a canister filter is always a good thing. I personally use an Emporer Power Filter and have had good luck so far. I think the 280 would be good for you, here is a link for that if your interested. Emperor Power filter 280 W/BIO-Wheel

wackii

New Fish
Aug 21, 2006
first a 30gal is definetly too small for blood parrots long term
I kinda know that they will get huge. Because of my apartment space, I can't really get a bigger tank. Thank you for all the tips.

way to small for those ugly dyed fish
I think they are nice. There are better looking fish out there of course but my wallet says no...

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Just to touch the first post (as i hate these fish with a passion and really don't want anything to do with them)....they can lay eggs but the majority of them are infertile...they cannot fertilize and have young. Though recently supposdly asian breeders have managed to find fertile males. But thankfully...you are most likely never going to get babies from these.

Igor, i'd be willing to put my money on Death before they reach that size. With all the hybridization and dying....they are already naturally weak. At least a 50gal...ugh i hate em.

Last edited:

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
...umm ok im confused...not ALL parrot fish are died! so that doesnt mean that all of them are week...but i like parrot fish.
also, a 30 is too small, but since u already bought it...i duno i guess try to see if the LFS will take it back then upgrade to like a 55?

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Katie217 said:
...umm ok im confused...not ALL parrot fish are died! so that doesnt mean that all of them are week...but i like parrot fish.
also, a 30 is too small, but since u already bought it...i duno i guess try to see if the LFS will take it back then upgrade to like a 55?
Yes, they are all weak....reguardless of their dyed history. Being a hybrid, and a man made hybrid at that...they are naturally weak.

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
Cichlid-Man said:
Igor, i'd be willing to put my money on Death before they reach that size. With all the hybridization and dying....they are already naturally weak. At least a 50gal...ugh i hate em.
hahah, yo come to seattle and i can think of atleast 3 14inchers within 10 blocks of my house.

cheers

-Java