New 35g SW setup...questions

I’ve got a 35g tank that i want to make SW
I want to keep some clowns and an anemone (eventually)

Equipment to be used:
Emp 400 filter
Seaclone 100
Power head 170 g/hr
Ebo heater
Power compacts 110w (2x55w)
Fine crushed coal substrate
40-50 lbs of live rock

Questions:
Will the equipment do?
Any other fish suggestions?
Any opionon on bio balls to put in the emp 400?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i would personally skip the crushed coral substrate. debrisandwhatnot get trap down there and you'll have nitrate problems. bioballs are great..but afterawhile..they also become a nitrate factory.

people have pro/cons experiences with seaclones. but i think any skimmer is better than no skimmer.

deep sand beds are the rage nowadays. do a search for it or DSB at like any specialized sw forum like reefcentral.com and you'll find tons of information there.

if you have a dsb, skimmer and live rock..that's all the filtration you need...that's the setup i use. =)

your lighting should be good to keep the majority of softies and lps. it won't be enough if you want sps or clams (you're probably saying i don't want to keep sps or clams - that's what i used to say..hee...now i keep sps and clams).

good luck!

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
*sighs* ok, time for my anenome speech. Your tank size is better then most but I can not stress enough the conditions needed to keep anenomes alive, let alone thriving. Your lighting will support not support an anenome. Most anenomes you buy in your LFS are wild caught. They need pristine water conditions to even think about survivng, and most get far to big for that sized tank. I've seen carpet anenomes bigger then my hand. If you get a captive bred anenome, it will be very expensive. Now, if you choose to get captive bred clowfish along with your anenome, there is a VERY good chance that they will not host the anenome. In the wild clowns live in the anenomes because the anenome will protect them if any predators are near by. In captivity, there aren't (or shouldn't be) any predators to threaten your clownfish. There for clowns do not need an anenome to survive in captivity, and, unless they were caught together, the clown probably won't even know what to do with it. If you do choose to get a wild caught pair, remember, that you are taking something out of the ocean, the stablisied enviroment of the world, and putting it in a little glass box with wild fluctuations. Also, most wild caught fish, are not caught legaly, with nets. Many of the fish you purchase in fish stores, are caught with cyanide. I did a report for school on it a few years back, and, studys show, that if we continue to either use dynamite or cyanide at the rate we are using it right now, there will be coral reefs left in 20 years. It took me along time to get up the stomach to do a saltwater tank, after thinking about all of the horrid things they have done to our ecosystem. My point is, skip the anenome, get your fish from a reputable dealer, and enjoy the hobby. Doe correctly, a small coral reef tank can be one of the most beautiful tanks you own. I have a 10 gallon FOWLR with just one fish, and, it's one of my favorite tanks. The fish has so much personality, and such awesome colors! Anyway, will you atleast consiter it? I know it's now what you planned, but... As for other fish to add, I suggest 2 clowns, 1 smallish goby, and lots of inverts! HTH Keep us posted!

Pooky, I will consider it, I really didnt know that, thanks...

And I look into the DSB too, Arcab.

So what i gather is forget the emp 400, go with a DSB, live rock and a skimmer...??? Correct??

When buying live rock, is there anything to look for? I heard before to smell it and if it smells like dirt it is supposed to be good, is that right?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
imho..(heehee) go with the liverock, DSB, and skimmer.

buy live rock that doesnt' smell like it's dying. you want cured live rock. if you buy uncured live rock...you'll know. it'll stink like no other. to avoid that, try buying rocks from someone who is tearing down their tank (check the recycler). you'll find some sweet deals and the rocks will already be cured and have alot of life on/in it.