New 37 Gal

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I just inherited a 37 gal tank from a friend, and have made a slight descision on fish to keep. I think I've decided to have 3 Zebra Loaches, 5-8 Scissortail Rasboras, 1 Betta, and MAYBE a Blue Lobster --> (Procambarus sp.). It might be just a tad overstocked for the 1" of fish per 1 gal of water rule, but if I'm diligent about w/c's and maintenance, I should be okay. Also iffy on the lobster and loaches are both bottom dwellers. Comments or suggestions are gladly welcome.

Izz

Small Fish
Aug 8, 2004
Visit site
Well, check out everything I have in my 29g. I'm not very diligent on w/c, and somehow I very rarely lose fish. (I just decked my tank out with plants, so now I can be even less diligent!)

I'd say you won't be over the fish limit. But I do say loaches with lobsters is a bad idea. If you want the lobster, you'll have to accept that fish will disappear occasionally, and bottom dwellers especially. Actually a big lobster might be tough, but something more like a crawdad is a nicer size.

Anyways, lobsters are $20 and crayfish are $1. They still kick ***.

lol, I think my next tank will be a crawdad with guppies and siamese algae eaters. The guppies will keep producing food for the crawdaddy, and the sae are usually too fast for craws anyway. Heck, I'll throw in some other livebearers for fun.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Izz said:
Well, check out everything I have in my 29g. I'm not very diligent on w/c, and somehow I very rarely lose fish. (I just decked my tank out with plants, so now I can be even less diligent!)

I'd say you won't be over the fish limit. But I do say loaches with lobsters is a bad idea. If you want the lobster, you'll have to accept that fish will disappear occasionally, and bottom dwellers especially. Actually a big lobster might be tough, but something more like a crawdad is a nicer size.

Anyways, lobsters are $20 and crayfish are $1. They still kick ***.

lol, I think my next tank will be a crawdad with guppies and siamese algae eaters. The guppies will keep producing food for the crawdaddy, and the sae are usually too fast for craws anyway. Heck, I'll throw in some other livebearers for fun.

This is true, Izz. I just like the look of the lobsters. They're just.. cool! LiveAquaria says that they're relatively peaceful, and I know that Zebra Loaches can swim fast if they really must; well, any fish can. I'm not worried about losing a few fish, as long as it's to another creature, but it's just preferrable not to. From what I read, the lobsters are supposed to only get to around 5-6", but that's from what I've read. Things are always different on paper.

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Pics

I finally decided to post some pics of the tank itself. It was pretty nasty beforehand, but I will say that it looks much better afterwards. The white substance (which I suspect to be lime/calcium) is still on the inner lip of the tank, and I dare not use CLR to try and clean it off any more than it already has been for fear of killing future fish. I got it as clean as a razor blade/sponge with 10%bleach solution could get.

Here's the uncleaned pics.

Front

Right

Left

And now the cleaned pics.

Front

Right

Left

It's not much of an improvement, but I think it does look significantly better. (Keep in mind that the flash highlights any and all flaws in the appearance, so it doesn't look nearly as bad in person.) Any other comments/questions are welcome.

Exevious

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2003
North Dallas, Texas
Visit site
make sure you dont mix crawfish with bottom dwellers or lazy fish like algae eaters.....

and You need to have more than one of them at all times.
I had two white river crawfish for awhile and loved them... but they did cause to much stress to my pictus cats.. and beat them up.
My cichlids did alright, but did get a few fin nips.

Anyway a few months later.. one crawfish escaped (they will get out!! make sure you secure your top 100%) I found him dried up on the living room floor. It was his second time out. The fist time I found him immediatly.

Crawfish will battle each other for territory... this is important. It important that they are occupied with each other. Once I had only one, and he didnt have to worry about another crawfish, all he had to do was spend his time hunting my fish... he made a few good hits on my cichlids, and I pulled him out.

I recommed at least 35 gallons, very aggresive, non bottom dwelling fish.. and keeping more than one.

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Are the pics showing up for everyone? Also, been actually considering the lobster if it isn't too costly. Ive been reading about the Blue Cobalt Lobsters for the past two hours now. The biggest problem I've seen with them that people have encountered is their lobster not molting properly. Other than that, most (I emphasize most) say that their lobster is completely content by him/herself with their other fish in the tank, so long as the fish don't stray too close to the lobsters den/cave/hidey spot.

Jan 19, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
^ Esp. if the Xbox is equipped with a couple of plasma grenades or a rocket launcher...

BTW I love love love your pink carpeting...you might think about pairing that with some seafoam green for the walls for some "authentic" southwest decor :rolleyes:

LOL

Izz

Small Fish
Aug 8, 2004
Visit site
At my lfs they have some lobsters mixed with some big, clear prawns. The prawns are pretty sweet looking. If you want something different, maybe mix it up a bit and add a prawn.

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Oy.. -.- No, no, no.. You see; the Xbox will make the Master Chief come alive through the TV and he'll start wasting random people with that pimpin' purple sword. ~_^ (Wish I had one of those)