New 40 gallon tank

Aug 28, 2009
I bought a new 40 gallon tank today. I moved some plants and gravel from my old tank. I also moved my filter and about 5 gallons of water from my old tank to the new one. How long do I need to wait to put fish in? I read that the water needs to be able to remove 5 ppm of amonia in 24 hours. I am just wondering how much this process will be sped up by using things from the old tank or if that even works.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
You should be able to move the oscar to the tank and in my view ,,you should do it soon. The beneficial bacteria that you have in the filter from your other tank as well as the bacteria in the gravel from your other tank, will die off without food source from fish. I would monitor the water each day for a week to ensure the ammonia levels and nitrites don't become dangerous. But with the material you added ,, It should be safe to add ONE oscar assuming the filter is large enogh to filter the tank. You may wish to add a second filter to run along with the one you have now if the one you have now is not rated for the tanks volume of water.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
It should be safe to add ONE oscar assuming the filter is large enogh to filter the tank. You may wish to add a second filter to run along with the one you have now if the one you have now is not rated for the tanks volume of water.
good point
what size tank is your filter from ?

Aug 28, 2009
The filter is from a 20 gallon tank but it is rated for 30 gallons. I also have a 10 gallon tank that is not in use so I can add the filter from that one. Once I have put the fish in the 40 gallon tank how long should I wait to put a new filter in that tank as I will need to return the filter to the 20 gallon tank eventually?

Also is a 30 gallon filter and a 10 gallon filter actually equal to running a 40 gallon filter? I don't see why it wouldn't be but figured I should ask.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
i went with a filter rated 20-40gal on my 20g and 10-20g on my 10g
and im very pleased. it works for me.
the 5-15g rated filter i had didnt do crap on my sons 10g
and the 10-20g rated filter i had on my 20g also sucked LOL
hope this helps

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
If you should decide to add a new filter(larger) to the 40 gal, I would let it run for at least two weeks with the filter you presently have on the tank. In this way a bacteria colony can be established in the new filter and when you remove the other one,, the new one can take over duty without losing much bacteria. For a fast growing and messy eating fish like an Oscar, I might consider a filter such as the Emperor 400 by marineland or a canister filter with equivalent capabilities.