NEW 46 gallon bow

Feb 27, 2009
Like the title says I finally got a new 46 gallon bowfront tank. I went with the bowfront because I think it gives the look of the tank a little extra! I'm going the freshwater route and had some questions.....I've had the 10 gallon tank lots of people have started with in their fish keeping careers but now that this one is a little bigger I need some advice..

What is the best filter to go with and why?
sand or rock?

I've also looked into getting lunar lights for at night, are they worth it? (i think they look like they are) and if so since i have a glass top lid with a light bar that sits on top what is the best way to connect them?

Thanks in advance for the tips and advice....

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Canister is my favorite way of filtering on my 46 bow.... Its quite and works real well. Power filters work and they are cheaper but also loud and I find them a bit obnoxious. I don't know much about wet/dry and refugium filters but I think a canister is best.

I like sand but it depends on the fish you plan on keeping, your budget, and your preference. I have flourite sand in my tank cause I figured it was best for my plants, I didn't want my pleco to get bruised on the gravel and it looks cool when my fish stir it up a bit. It is a bit more expensive than gravel but you can get cheap pool filter or play sand for cheaper than gravel most likely.

Lunar lights are only cool if you have some nocturnal fish, and my pleco isn't interesting enough for me to invest.. Otherwise they are a waste of money I think. I'm not sure how you would house them. My compact fluorescent light has room in it, that I could DIY fix them in there but it might be too much of a pain for other types of bulbs.

Jan 29, 2009
MASS
there realy is some good filters out there by Eheim. but first what tipe of filter are you looking at? names of filters and types, HOB, liberty intank, Aqua ball, canister, EHEIM professionel 3e, EHEIM professionel, EHEIM professionel II thermofilter just to name a few. the Aqua Ball is a great filter, i have the 2210 and it keeps the tank sparkling clean compared to my old HOB. Sand Or Rock? are you going to have live rock in the tank, live plants? if yes use sand.

Stillness

Medium Fish
Feb 21, 2009
You only need to post in one section, we will find it...
Live rock for a FW tank? Umm.. No. Depends on the look you are going for, and what types of fish you are interested in keeping, but for a beginner I would recommend gravel. It is much easier to clean. For filters, if one came with the tank, leave it on. If you like to purchase an additional one, I would choose a Penguin.

Feb 27, 2009
yes, sorry i went back to try and erase the other post but can't figure out how? sorry i'm new here....

anyways, im going with freshwater with gravel (thats what i meant by rock) and depending on the type of cichlids does it matter if i go with live plants or fake?

The tank came with a HOB that is for 50-70 gallons, mines 46. I just didn't know if some people reccommended something different

Feb 27, 2009
thanks, for the merge!

I read too that most or all cichlids dont do well with live plants. They also like a lot of hiding places but are active. Any opinions on what would do best in a 46 bow? how many?