NEW 46g bowfront

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Ok first im getting southdown sand about 90# of that stuff. and seeding it with my 20lbs of established LS.

now im just worried about the cost for everything else...

im going to mod my maxi-jets and try to bring them to 2,000 GPH!!!*crazysmil XD
yes its possible.*BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS

should i use my 10g as a sump/refuge? or is that just way tooo small?

i can try to build a 20-30g one when i have the time...

im planing to get the stock stand which has a small cabinet so its not going to fit in there...

now the other main problem...the lighting...

im getting a 2 X 96w PC light. just need to wire everything.
and a 250 MH ballast need to wire that as well.
i got the bulbs for the MH.

the only problem is how do u wire them :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

if i cant get any help here then its fine. my LFS has like over 10 MH set up. so they should know the best way to do it...

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Things im getting for it.

200watt stealth heater (i have a 50w and its the best heater in the world)
wires and sockets for the MH and CF.
Metal housing box.
(im guessing stuff for the light is going to run me over $200 T.T)

more LS and LR!!!

i already have a maxi-jet 1200 and 900 (525 GPH)
i did a little mod on the 900 so it should be around 350 gph XD

If im not happy with the flow then im going all out to 1000 GPH

do i really need a sump...i had some bad experiences with flooding :(

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
can have a sump hanging higher than your tank, no need to drill your tank..if you can hide it!
There's no obligations, but hiding the heater, skimmer, having macro algae + more water is great + it's much easier to mix new water in a sump.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
pick up a used aqua remora c on ebay.....i sold my remora pro on ebay for $175 so you should easily be able to pick up a used remora for under $150. By far the best hob skimmer out there and virtually idiot proof to adjust

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
CoolWaters said:
do i really need a sump...i had some bad experiences with flooding :(
*crazysmil this time dont make yur baffles that close to the top and drill a holl in the return and you should be fine :D i finally got mine under control and im lovin it

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Brack-Man said:
Yep Yep, I do.
wat to help me with it??? :p

i see one wire thats marked CAP its a single wire sticking out on one side.

heres my lable. sry if the image is blurry. you get it right?

it comes with a lot of wires all marked different voltages
120v
150V (i think)
240v
277v

do i just need to hook one of these wires and just seal the others or do i need to hook all of them?

btw i have a capacitor too.

right now im pretty sure i have to look the capacitor to the CAP wire and to the lamp.

thats all i know T.T

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
theres a fat plastic strip/bar in the middle of the tank...(guessing its to hold the light) im planning to put a MH there...

the question is can i cut that off? its soo flimsy so i wont damage my tank?

i need to build a hood for this...so how can u build a 36" hood?

wood: i catches on fire and the water vapor cause decay/mold..
buts its cheap and easy to work with.

plastic: expensive, harder to work with. melts...
but doesnt decay/mold.

it came with a stock hood. which suxs...and its too small to fit the PCs that i want.
let alone one MH...

For starters, I posted here what I used for my grounded plug wire gauge http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/saltwater-general-discussion/45290-mh-set-up.html.
Next, why order a cable off of the net when you can just run down to a Lowes or HD and pick up a 15 ft 14-16 gauge extension cord, cut it basically in half, which is what I did, for about $6.

this is a link to how youy need to wire it up, this is straight from Hellolights.com, my wiring is different because I have fans and switches in mine, but this will work.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/lamps-now/magdiagram.pdf

If you want to add a switch to yours, put it before the ballast on the 120v power in wire.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Brack-Man said:
For starters, I posted here what I used for my grounded plug wire gauge http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/saltwater-general-discussion/45290-mh-set-up.html.
Next, why order a cable off of the net when you can just run down to a Lowes or HD and pick up a 15 ft 14-16 gauge extension cord, cut it basically in half, which is what I did, for about $6.

this is a link to how youy need to wire it up, this is straight from Hellolights.com, my wiring is different because I have fans and switches in mine, but this will work.

If you want to add a switch to yours, put it before the ballast on the 120v power in wire.

the diagram looks very simple but mines a M58/H37 71A5790

theres just many other wires that i dont know there to connect them...

when i get back home i'll analyze the ballast more clearly...

ONLY USE THE TAP MARKED 120v all the rest of the wires SHOULD be capped off and taped up...DO NOT CONNECT THEM TOGETHER... FIRE and EXPLOSION HAZARD if you do so

if you look closely at this diagram again...it clearly says : Advance M-57, M-58 & M-59 wiring instructions...right below where it says ...do not plug anything in until ballast has been fully wired.

If you feal your not able to do this please dont do it...find someone who can... like an electrician...better safe than sorry.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Brack-Man said:
ONLY USE THE TAP MARKED 120v all the rest of the wires SHOULD be capped off and taped up...DO NOT CONNECT THEM TOGETHER... FIRE and EXPLOSION HAZARD if you do so

lol ok

thanks for the warning *laughingc *laughingc *laughingc

this makes everything sooo much easier...

im using a grounded plug so where does the 3rd wire connect to?

btw did u hook the ballast and the fans together in one plug?

did u use a 18 gauge wire???

sry for the questions but i want to do this right.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
im not going to install a switch. im planning to hook every on one power extension (6 way) that should be enough for one MH/2 x 96 CF/and some fans.
thats about 450 watts (with fans...cant w8 to see the power bill T.T)

i might put the fan some where else since i want it to be one for a while to cool off the ballast and bulb.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Brack-Man said:

a 14 gauge was good enough for u?

i'll probably get a 14 gauge then. but i think i'll be using 18 gauge wires. but i'll compare the wires on my ballast

so where does the 3rd wire on a ground plug go on your ballast?