new 5 gallon hex

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
For my betta.
I moved the little guy from his cramped nano-one-gallon tank to an old five gallon I had and forgot about I gave it to one of my friends a while ago and she doesn't use it anymore so I reclaimed it! My betta is looking SO happy now. It has a heater, and an undergravel filter. I took gravel from the 29 gallon and used all water from my 29 gallon to fill it. I know it probably isn't the best way to cycle a new undergravel tank, but he looks great, and happy. I am going to do a couple 20% water changes a week for a while to make sure he has nice fresh water. But heck it's better than living in one gallon "puddle" like he was before. Do you think this is an ok setup or should I have let it cycle first? I figured that the gravel had all the bacteria and the water wasn't brand new, it was from my well established tank.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Don't worry about cycling your 5 gallon for 1 betta. just do regular weekly water changes and he will be fine.

Also, I would suggest not using a UGF because the bubbles will disrupt your betta from making a bubble nest.

You can remove the UGF and replace it with a very small internal filter, like an Elite internal on the very lowest flow setting.

Congrats.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
that is good news to hear, thanks for responding, Iggy.
Actually, the flow is very very minimal. I don't know if it becasue the air pump that came with the tank setup is too small or what, but there is plenty of bubble action in the tubes, but the surface agitation is almost non-existant. No waves, only slight ripples, it almost reminds me of when a raindrop hits a body of water...very very gentle. I hope this will be ok. Or does this mean that the airpump isn't strong enough
The little dude had made himself right to home too. I fed him some bloodworms for a treat and he chowed on that. Even if the undergravel filter isn't sufficient I still feel better that he now has a real home with plenty of room to swim around rather than his old "tank".
Thanks for answering,
Kelly :)

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
f8fan... like timisu87, Mr. heated betta is already very happy :)

I have what I like to think is an 'ideal' betta tank setup... maybe you will like it too:

1 Betta :)
5 Gallon tank with 50w heater (you have already) and 25w lamp.
Sand Substrate (about 6 lbs of washed brown playsand)
1 Piece of rinsed driftwood with javamoss fishlined to it (to hold it on)
1 or 2 Java-fern plants (low light).
1 Elite Mini (3 to 5gph) filter with fine sponge filter
(option) 1 Snail for Algea Control

Reasons:
Undergravel & gravel gets really dirty over time and need complete removal and cleaning, plus plants are not a good option with UGF. Try brown sand with an internal filter (fine sponge/floss to prevent sand from damaging motor), its much better looking and just as easy to clean.

The driftwood & plants make the tank look a lot more natural. The easy to care for java fern has nice tall leaves Mr. Betta will rest on or hide behind. The java-moss makes a nice resting place Mr. Betta might actually sleep in.

The mini filter is just to help reduce algea growth (water movement) and remove a little debris. The plants will help with ammonia/nitrite and nitrate removal. Don't focus on bio-filter systems for a single betta in a tank, he will not benefit from it, and fast flowing water really bothers most bettas.

Anyway, that is just what I would do with a 5 gallon betta tank. Enjoy!