New 5 Gallon Tank

Dec 19, 2005
This saturday I recieved a small 5 gallon tank. Came with a nice little filter and cheesy hood. I purchased an air pump and a nice air stone for it along with some nice gravel, plastic plants, a rock arch and some cool little hermit crab shells. So any way, my girlfriend, the more experienced fish owner, helps me set it up. We washed everything off, cleaned the gravel and everything, set up the decor and began to fill the water. We put some tablets we brought that would condition the water in and let them fizz away. The water was a nice 72 degrees.

Mean while, we had 6 guppies (4 males 2 females) and 2 siamese algea eaters hanging out in their repective plastic bags. So we dipped them in the water and let them adjust to the temperature in the tank. After about 15 minutes we poured some tank water in their bags and 10 minutes later we fished them out and let them into their new home. We gave them a little stress enzyme and fed them a small amount of flakes later in the evening. All is well so far.

Sunday morning, one of the guppies is upside down in the plants. Our first casulty. Otherwise everthing else is kosher, but one of the yellow male guppies keeps nipping on the fins of another male guppy with an even fancier tail. Jealousy? Or perhaps this fish is just one of those natural born jerks sort of like some people. The two siamese algea eatters and doing there thing along the bottom of the tank togather.

Fast foward to sunday night, the male which i think was the one being picked on, was floating sideways and dead, and one of the siamese algea eaters was not moving and dead. I also noticed the water is slightly cloudier.

So this morning, the other fishes all seem fine, the guppies are in pairs now, 1 male and 1 female each and keep to themself mostly, and i couldnt find the algea eater but he's good at hiding. The water is still slightly cloudy.

Perhaps we brought too many fish for the tank, but do you think it can recover and complete the cycle process without any more dead fish? I was reading on some sites to do a 10% water change every 3 days during the first month. Tonight would be the third day. Any suggestions?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The cloudy water is the first sign that the tank is starting it's cycle. It's a bacteria bloom. It will get much worse before it gets better. The cloud is harmless for the fish, and there is really nothing you can do to make it go away. I can tell you the "clear up water chemicals" that you can buy are of no use and actually help clog your filter faster.

You did mention that your girlfriend is an experienced fish keeper. Does she have a tank currently running? If so get her to change out her old filter media and put the old stuff in your tank or in your filter. This will greatly speed up your cycle. When getting the media, do not allow it to dry out, put it in a bag and get it over to your house ASAP. The sooner the better.

No as far as your fish making it. Guppies are not normally used for cycling a tank, and it really depends on the guppies you got. Some of them have proven IME to be quit hardy and have dealt with cycling mini tanks for me. But and that is a big BUT, if the strain you got is overly inbred and overall week, don't expect them to live. And to be honest with you there is really no way of knowing this unless you know the breeder that came from or they live. I doubt very seriously the SAE will make it. Also SAEs get to large for a 5 gallon toping out around 6 inches.

Last but not least you need to get a test kit so you can keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.

Dec 19, 2005
Thats good point, i'll ask her tonight if i can steal some bacteria for myself.

However i don't see the point of takeing tests like ammonia or nitrite if the cycle is just going to work itself out over the month.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Test kits will help you know when the spikes are and when the cycle is complete. If you keep up on the water changes every 2-3 days (might want to do more like 20% during the first few weeks), they probably aren't absolutely necessary.

Sep 16, 2005
the test kits are good to have even after your cycle is complete, especially for a small tank in which conditions are so unstable. one extra little flake of food or adding one too many fish at a time in a 5g can give you an ammonia spike that will make your tank go through another mini-cycle. it's good to monitor the progress when something like this happens with test kits.

and if (knock on wood) you start seeing strange behavior in your fish or a death seemingly from nowhere, it's nice to have the test kit handy to immediately rule out simple things like ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

nitrate is very important to test constantly after your cycle is complete... it doesn't just dissipate, so you either have to keep an eye on your levels or become super water change nazi. once nitrate builds up past about 20 ppm (easy to do in a small, slightly overcrowded tank with no real plant life), your fish will not be happy campers.

i hope your fish will make it.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
all sounds a bit crazy...
pure and geekrockgirl have it sorted...

i'm doing 10% water changes every other day...
easy to do and good for the fish...

you don't have to steal the bacteria...
just squeeze your girlfriends filters in a jar...
[sounds groovy]... :)
using only tank water...
and pour that 'dirty' water through your filter...

sounds like guppies were the wrong start-up fish...
and they all went in way too quick...imho...
i've been told to float the bags for an hour...
with 3 separate cups of water added at 15min intervals...

hope your guys make it...

Dec 19, 2005
ok, well last night the SAE was dead. I did a 10% water change, the cloudyness has already reduced itself even before the water change. I'm gonna pick up a some test stuff tonight after work and get some food, i was given a sample bag of tetramin flakes, which i think ill get a can of. Possibly some freeze dried bloodworms for them to munch on.

Otherwise the guppies seem fine for now.

Dec 19, 2005
ok... down to one last guppy, a female survivor.

:(

should this last one go the same way as the others, should i restock with a different type of fish? How soon do I have to do this before the cycle breaks down.

btw, as of last night I had a PH of 7.2, ammonia was at .25ppm and nitrite was 0. I do not have a nitrate kit.