New 50 Gallon tank

Oct 11, 2008
I just got finished setting up my new 50 gallon tank and cycling it. After everything has tested fine I have gradually added the following fish. 2 red wag platys, 2 sunburst platys, 2 black mollies, 2 tiger barb, 2 black skirt tetras, 1 red tail shark, 1 bala shark and a small pleco. I have a 2 large wheel house decorations as well as a couple of plants. I also have a decorative bridge and an decorative aligator. Both houses and aligator are airators and I have 2 aquaclear filters as well. I would like some advice on any other types of fish I could add that would be good tank mates. Any and all suggestions are welcome as I am fairly new to this but have always been an enthusiast.

Patrick

Sep 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm a big supporter of the more hiding spots the better... so I'd get another hiding spot for your fish! Like maybe a cave? There are fish bound to have little tiffs in your tank.

Stock-wise I think you got enough fish... that Pleco with the Bala might even be a little big for that tank. They can both each get up to 16in. That's 32in of fish right there. With the Red Tail that is 38in of fish. Put in the two Mollies and that's basically your idea tank stocking.

Oct 11, 2008
Yea, I've read about the size of the bala and pleco so they are both small right now and once they start getting big I will switch them to my fathers 150 gallon tank, it will be sad to see them go as the bala especialy has become one of my fav fish.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I had barbs with my platys mollies and swords and the barbs were not very nice. I would keep an eye on them. If some of your fish look like they have been nipped, you can bet it was the barbs.

Oct 11, 2008
I have one other question. I have heard both pros and cons on having 2 filters on a tank such as mine (50 gallons - is longer than it is deeper) I currently have 1 Aquaclear for a 50 gal tank. Would it be better for my fish and waste to get a second filter? And f so shouod I get another one rater for a 50 gal tank or maybe a bit smaller one?

Thanks