New 55 gall.

papyrus

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2007
Hello friends,I hope you can advise me.The apartment is small the room the 55 will go in already has the 20 gall.in it on it's stand.It is in the spot where the 55 gall will go.To get the 55 up and cycling this means we may have no room in order to move freely around the room.What can I do to quickly move these fish into the 55gall ?Because I have the 20 gall.going will the bacteria load be heavy enough to reseed the 55 gall.if I use everything in the 20 gall. to stock the 55?Including the two filters?-Any advice would be great,I finally found a great price on a 55/wstand.i have read the stickies and iggy's recipe seems simple enough but as I stated I am hoping to be able to really speed things up.I have to be able to get to the dresser with out climbing over the bed for a week or more,or just jumping into the bed from the doorway(smile)-D

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you move the filters over to the 55g (keep them moist during the switch), you shouldn't have much cycle at all. You don't really need the gravel and all if you move both filters... it's just like a really good gravel vacuuming into a bigger tank. Just don't add new fish for a week or so, to let the happy bacteria cover all the new gravel and decorations.

When you move the tanks, you can pull the fish out of the 20g and into a bucket or something, and then completely empty the 20g. Move it out of the way and set the 55g up, including the filters from the 20g. You probably want to float the fish, because the temperature might be a little different. It's like a 100% water change.

Keep in mind that this will take longer than you think it will. The fish will be fine for the duration, as long as your apartment isn't excessively cold.

papyrus

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2007
Thanx Caps,I also got in touch with Freshwater Jeff who gave me good advice as well.Thanks to both of you,I feel confident now .The switch will go well.-D