new 55g ..transporting question

Jun 15, 2006
new 55g ..cleaning question

I just bought a 55g off ebay from a guy that had to get rid of it because of his wife. It comes with just about everything, including what he describes as 5 cichlids. What would be the best way to transport these fish? (I'm honestly not even sure if I want to keep them.)

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Are you going to pick the tank and the fish up? or are you asking how the person should ship them to you? I agree with the tupperware or a 5g bucket with a lid etc, generally if its not more than an hour trip or so they'll be fine, just be sure not to let them get too cold or too hot. If you're not sure that you want to keep the fish you might check for a store in the area where you're picking it up that would take the fish so you can stop by on your way home with the tank and drop them off.

Jun 15, 2006
I'll be driving about 30 minutes to pick them up. I told the seller I'm not sure how I will transport the fish yet and he said he usually drains 3/4th the tank and transports it like that. Would that be ok or is that crazy?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
NEVER transport a tank with water in it. You want to empty it out completely (down to where the gravel is if you're keeping the gravel). The tank needs to be as level as possible...as strain from the tank not being level can break a seal. Just get a plastic bucket...I have a few 2gallon buckets that I use for little trips...fill them up about halfway with water, toss some fake or real plants in there, put the fish in, cover with a plastic bag or seran wrap (poke a few holes you dont want to suffocate them) and they'll be fine for the trip. Best way to keep from getting your vehicle soaking wet would be to get a container that actually has a lid, poke some holes in the top. They'll be fine.

Jun 15, 2006
Ok so i just went and picked up the 55g. The fish are very nice (african cichlid as described by the owner so I need to figure out what kind) but the tank is way dirtier than expected. When I filled up the tank the tank was filthy with all the dirt rising from the gravel so I gravel vacuumed it twice but it still looks very cloudy. The water is getting better but I only have the filter he had running. Here are my 2 questions

1) what type of filter should i get for a 55g (wont be planted)

2) Whats the best way to clean the mold/algae in the corners of the tank? It seems like its on the sealing so I got worried when I started picking at it with my finger nail because it started taking some sealing(i think?) off with it.

thanks

Last edited:

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
Eli2Shockey said:
1) what type of filter should i get for a 55g (wont be planted)

2) Whats the best way to clean the mold/algae in the corners of the tank? It seems like its on the sealing so I got worried when I started picking at it with my finger nail because it started taking some sealing(i think?) off with it.

thanks
I would get a Penguin Bio-Wheel 350. IME it's reliable and efficient.

I usually clean tanks with an unused toothbrush, or you can use an algae pad. I'm pretty sure a toothbrush won't hurt the class, but the tanks I clean at my store are acrylic so I'm not 100% positive.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
1) I have a nice eheim canister filter on my 55. It definitely does the trick and I love the ease of use on canister filters...not to mention no annoying HOB sounds! Totally personal preference, just know that you aren't going to OVER filter. A lot of people like to put a canister and a smaller HOB on there for the different types of filtration and water movement, as well as a backup should anything go wrong with one or the other.

2) If the tank was gross and someone re-sealed...I have seen tank seals that look gross...you may just have to deal with it. You do NOT want to pick at the seams or do anything abrasive around them. If it wont come off with scrubbing with something like a paper towel or toothbrush I would probably let it soak for a bit in really hot water, maybe toss in a tiny bit of bleach and see if that helps. A toothbrush definitely isn't going to hurt the glass...but watch out not to scrub too harshly on the seams. (Obviously doing this when the fish are NOT in the tank.) You should see pictures of my 55 when I picked it up from my friend, it was SO gross heh I literally had to fill and empty that thing probably 20 times before it was liveable.

Glad the transport went well :) Check out the pictures in our cichlid profiles, or get a picture of the fish and pop up a thread in the cichlid section and someone ought to be able to ID it for you.

Jun 15, 2006
I ordered the emperor 400 biowheel off a suggestion from another thread and ceramic cylinder media. I currently have 5 cichlids in the 55.

1) how many more fish can I get for the 55?
2) is it worth it since my tank seems peaceful now?

Jun 15, 2006
yeah I'm going to have to get pics soon. The previous owner kept telling me african cichlids and I said what specific type and he said african...so that won't cut it.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
no...because there are so many different kinds of cichlids you really need to know more. Its probably a good chance that they're mbuna, since I think those are usually the kind marked at the store "assorted african cichlids" with the bright colors...but better safe than sorry. You could also go to a place like www.cichlid-forum.com and check out their articles and pictures if you can't ID them by looking at our profiles up top.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
I've transported my 25g tank 1/4 filled before. The trick is to keep the tank on a board or piece of plywood and carry it (2 people) by the wood, so the tank always stays like it was still sitting on it's stand. However, with a 55g, that's gonna be hard... ney, impossible unless you have a pickup truck and a few strong friends. 1/4 tank of water in a 55g is still over a hundred pounds, plus tank, rocks, etc.

I think the best idea was to put the fish in a large rubbermaid container, with water from the tank, drain out the rest of the water, and move the tank empty. Keep the filters wet if possible, so you can get it put back together and not have to do a complete cycle.