New 5g Questions

Mar 24, 2005
Kentucky
I just purchased a five gallon hex tank with a three stage filtration system for my daughter's room. I'm planning to put in a couple of dwarf platys and a few baby mollies (at least I think that's what they are) from my 30 gallon tank at school. The tank is complete with filtration and lights, but I am missing heat and aeration. Any recommendations on this or type of fish for the tank. I know I am limited to a small number of fish with the tank, but want something entertaining for my daughter. The tank is a reward for her and she is really excited. I want to teach her how to correctly get it all set up. :eek:

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the tank!

You don't need to add an airstone if the tank already has a filter. The filter should supply enough movement for there to be enough oxygen in the water. A small 25 watt heater should be fine for the tank (don't forget a thermometer!).

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I like the dwarf platies, they're so little and cute! And your daughter will like it if they have babies in there. If you could get shrimp or a dwarf frog for the bottom, those might be interesting for her too.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
yeah, i like the idea of adding shrimp. shrimp do not dirty up the tank as they are excellent scavengers/algae eaters. Frogs contribute a lot of waste as compared to a fish. Shrimp can be very interesting to watch and it would be nice to have something in the tank other than just fish. STAY AWAY from crayfish though, as they will make short order of your fish. Same with crabs and lobsters.

lmosness

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2005
Moberly, MO
I second the shrimp motion. I especially like my ghost (or glass) shrimp. You can see it's food going through it's system. I freaked out the first morning after it had molted though - I thought it was dead until he/she popped out from behind some plants. Also, you may consider guppies. Lot of variety & they are so easy (in my opinion) to take care of. If you don't want to breed them, I suggest the males just because they have the big fancy tails.

Dud

New Fish
Apr 24, 2005
NO PLATIES, & NO MOLLIES
how bout'
*2 female bettas (make sure there sisters)
*4 shrimp
*1 or 2 adf's

or

*6 dwarf cories

or

*3 adf's

or

*2 dwarf puffers

hope I helped :)