New 60l set up

Dxmum

New Fish
Feb 17, 2012
Whitworth
Hi all
I'm not totally new to fish keeping, but its been a while since I've set up a new tank. I'm going to be setting up a 11 gallon tank in the near future. It's an old Juwel tank that I'm 'recycling'. I'm thinking of removing the orignal filter that came with the tank and replacing it with either a Fluval U2 or an Eheim 2411 Biopower 160. I'm leaning towards the Fluval because I have an old external Fluval 203 on my 30 gallon tank, but my neighbour has recommended the Eheim 2413 Biopower 240 which he has in his 30 gallon discus tank and he is very happy with. Has anyone got any thoughts on the pros and cons of each? :confused:

Also what is the best way to clean the tank as it has been stood unused for a few years?

Thanks

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I try to get filters rated for about twice my tank size so I have good flow to provide good water surface movement so the water is well oxygenated. I have used bleach/water in the past on very stained tanks at about 1 cup to a gallon. I have also used vinegar on a tank that needed mild cleaning. You just have to see what works for you. Just be sure not to use SOAP!!!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I have reused my tanks many times. I clean them with a paste made from non-iodized table salt. I wash out as much stuff from the tank as possible and leave the deposits wet. Try to be sure to get all the old gravel and sand and other hard stuff out. I use a shop vac for this. I pour the salt into a small amount of water. Just enough to form a paste. I rub the paste on the glass with a soft cloth, dont ues a good cloth as the algae and other stuff will not likely clean out. Be sure the cloth will not scratch glass itself. The salt paste does not scratch the glass, just be careful to not get any gravel ,sand or other hard bit in the paste. This usually will clean most of the deposits from the glass . I use the paste on the inside and the outside.
I sometimes leave the paste to dry for a while before rinsing it off. I have felt, without any real proof, that the salt paste will dessicate undesireable critters.
Be sure to use salt that does not have iodine.
I rinse the salt paste off and usually have a clean tank.
Some stubborn stains or deposits may have to be carefully cleaned in another way. Some deposits are mineral based and will be softened with vinegar. I have a couple of old algae scrapers that use double edged razor blades to scrape the relly tough stuff away. The blade has to be true to prevent scratches, it is easy for the corners of the blades to be tweaked and make fine scratches. I have not tried the newer single edge blade holders but guess they work much the same. Good luck.