New 75 gallon tank advice

May 13, 2015
About 7 weeks ago I bought a 75 gallon tank and set it up with substrate, sand and live plants. I also picked up a cascade 1000 canister filter and a whisper 40 hanging filter. Once the tank was cycled I slowly added 12 neon tetras, one dwarf gourami, one amano shrimp, 5 cory catfish and one clown pleco. The tank originally came with a weak T9 single bulb that I attempted to grow the plants with but after the plants started to look brown and unhealthy I replaced the light with a High output dual T5 fixture. The fish seem to be healthy but I am now seeing loads of brown algae covering the plants, filters and decorations. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong or solutions to the algae? I was told that the brown diatom algae thrives in low light but my current lighting should be plenty bright.

Dec 1, 2013
I would highly suggest bristle-nose plecos for algae situations. As, well is your tank in any natural light? Such as windows? Algae normally blooms from an over-exposure of light, but there are several varieties of why is could appear. There are also moss balls that can assist in algae situations, and algae treatments available at any pet store near you.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
With planted tanks it is all about balancing light, nutrients, and CO2 to optimize it for the plants but not leave enough behind for the algae.

What types of plants do you have? That light may be more than necessary for lower light plants, if it is a light issue the easiest way to lower it a little is to raise the light higher above the tank. Or put something between the light / tank to diffuse the light (they do this regularly with LED lights). I believe that a high light situation without CO2 addition is one of the main culprits of algae in a planted tank - the plants become limited by the lack of CO2 and the algae fills the gap there. Another easy way to help reduce this is to split the light cycle up into two 4hr periods, rather than a longer single light period.

Are you adding nutrients? Are you doing water changes? If you've got too much nutrients going in and not enough being utilized by the plants or being removed by water changes, that could be contributing to the algae as well.

I wish I could help more - I'm currently working on bunches of green thread type algae in my planted tank.

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
I was recommended a bushy nose pleco for algae. He was about an inch total in size. I was doubtful, but took my friend's advice. He had my 37 gallon clean in a day and a half. He literally just blissfully went around and around the tank cleaning up the algae. I don't know about their general behavior/personality traits, but I like that he won't get obnoxiously big and unlike the common plecos, he doesn't sit around all day/night.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Just curious how the tank cycled w/out fish in it? A steady ammonia source is needed to establish the beneficial bacteria colony needed for the bio load you intend to keep in the tank.

A 4ft T8 fluorescent (twin tube) in a ~6500K range over a 75g will be great for java fern, anubia and some floating plants. Something like a shop-light fixture that will fire T8s.

Nothing wrong with T5s! I've had my Odyssea 48" twin tube T5HO for a few years now. Only problem is the yearly tube change out and the heat they give off.