New 75 gallon tank

Ethos

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2011
I just cycled my new 75 gallon tank. I put in 5 Pristella Terra and 7 Neon Tetra and a couple plants yesterday. How long before I add more fish? I was thinking of adding like 6 more of each and some more plants but after that I am at a lose of what to add. Can I put shrimp in with these fish? What other fish do you think would go with what I have? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks

Feb 27, 2009
Your test kit should tell you when your biofilter is ready for more fish. How did you cycle the tank?

Shrimp are hit/miss with some fish. The more plants, the more places they can hide from fish.

Make sure the plants are true aquatic plants. Most that are sold at fish stores, sadly, are not.

Last edited:

Ethos

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2011
I brought the tank used and used the old sponge filter in the new setup and ran it for two weeks. I tested the water tonight and the ph is 8 and the Ammonia is 0. I will check the nitrates tomorrow.

Feb 27, 2009
If your ran the filter for two weeks with no ammonia source, the old sponge filter's beneficial bacteria would have died. Did you add ammonia each day you had things running for the two weeks?

Ethos

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2011
Today is the first time I did any test. I am new to this and was told to put the old sponge in the filter and run for two weeks then add a few small fish that equaled about a foot in length then start testing. Well that is where I am now. Are you saying my tank did not cycle? If it did not cycle what do I do now.

Feb 27, 2009
Are you saying my tank did not cycle?
Yes, I'm saying that your tank did not cycle.

If it did not cycle what do I do now.
You can do a fish-in cycle or return the fish and do a fishless cycle and add fish after the cycle is complete. The 2nd is more humane, but if you keep up with water changes and use the right conditioner that can bind ammonia and nitrite, you can do a safe fish-in cycle.

Ethos

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2011
ok thanks. I know I can keep up with the water changes. How often should I do them and do you have suggestion on the water conditioner?

Feb 27, 2009
I have used Seachem's Prime for a dechlorinator for years (started with reef aquariums 20+ years ago). It has the ability to bind ammonia (and nitrite if you 'overdose' it per the instuctions, read carefully). The ammonia will still show up on the test kits (sinces its really still there, just held in a state that is safer for fish). If you want to save some time and effort on water changes at the beginning, you may want to look at getting the Ammonia Alert disk they sell (PetSmart had them for $5.99 last I saw). It does not react to the 'safer' ammonia that is bound, so you can know 24/7 if there is ammonia you need to worry about. If it shows an unsafe level, you can use Prime to bind it (binding only lasts a few days) or do water changes to bring it down.

I'd start testing for nitrite once you see some ammonia registering. How often to do water changes depends a lot on the bioload of your aquarium (which is light for the tank size, so good), and the amount of food being fed. Remove any uneaten food promptly so it doesn't decay. Your test kit will guide you on how often and how much water to change.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
Good luck with your aquarium. Post pics if you want help in determining if your plants are 'true' aquatic plants. It makes me angry the way so many fish stores sell 'bog plants' that can survive a few months submerged. Seems that they just want you to replace them when they 'die' for 'no apparent reason!'

Ethos

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2011
Thanks I will try and post what I have Sunday. Everything is looking great and the few fish I have seem very healthy and active now.

Feb 27, 2009
+1 Thyra (haha)!

That guide is very helpful when shopping. Pay attention especially to the 'non-aquatic plants' section in red. Not that I care for the chain, but I will have to give PetSmart credit for labeling the plants they used to sell as aquatic as now 'semi-aquatic.'

The most common 'non-aquatics' I see are Mondo Grass, Lucky Bamboo, Aqua Fern and Dracena.

Ethos

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2011
Did a 25% water change mostly for the tannin from the driftwood - very little ammonia in the water and zero nitrite. Here is a couple pictures. Not sure what the plants are.

tank1.jpg

plant1.jpg

plant2.jpg