New Addition

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay I maybe made a stupid purchase but I figure we are all entitled to a screw up. I purchased this guy:

thinking that they were similar to midas blennies and talking to the lfs whom I actually trust.....who obviously doesn't know these guys reputation. I have now read that it may be a venomous fang tooth blenny named "Plagiotremus rhinorhynchos" that is aggessive and preys on other fish definitely not what I was told by the lfs. Has anyone had any experience with these guys?

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
"Plagiotremus rhinorhynchos (Bleeker 1852), the Bluestripe Fangblenny. Indo-Pacific; Red Sea to Micronesians. To almost five inches in length. Bites scales off of other fishes, and even nips divers... Not a pleasant tankmate"

if i were you, i would return it and have them ID it themselves. it probably will be nipping once it gets acclimated. i've never heard of these fishes before, they're wicked lol.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
So far the only aggressive move I have seen is when he was in a hole in the rock and the six line swam by and he charged out of his hidey hole....but didn't make to bite him....He is about 4 1/2 inches long right now and thin.....I asked at the pet store what he was eating and he said he was eating brine & mysis.......I havent seen him eat anything....he is out in the open swimming around and doesn't seem to bother with any of the other fish at all. If he becomes a problem he can go live in the fuge.....