New aquarium please help!!!

tan73

New Fish
Dec 21, 2009
I live on an island in Greece, 20 days ago i decided after years of dreaming it to buy my first aquarium.
There was an offer at the local petstore so i bought a 500 liter aquarium, with internal filters (2 black boxes that contain thermostat, filtering media, and water pump)
I decorated my tank (plastic plants rocks and driftwood) and i filled it with water. I left it to run for a week and i put in tetra "safe start" (noone told me about the nitrogen cycle at that time so i had only the Ph test) and after that i introduced my first fish in ti (a male betta). My fish was doing great and i was very happy.
After 5 days or so i also bought a pleco for my tank. Both fishies were great. First thing i faced was a bacteria bloom with white cloudy water but it went away after a couple of days.
So i was very happy with my new tank and after a few days i bought 1 Pangasius and a small catfish. Finaly a week or so later i bought my last fishies a clown loach and a bigger catfish.
It was about that time i got informed of what was the nitrogen cycle and i got some test kits.
And here comes my problem. After doing the tests i got the following readings:

Ph 7.5
NO2 0
NO3 50mg/l
NH4 5mg/l
NH3 0.27mg/l

I was very concerned about the ammonia readings so i did a 15% water change.

Next day NH4 was a little bit lower and all other readings were the same.
I tryied to fix something by adding again Tetra "safe start" in my tank to boost my filters biology but that didnt work either i still have the same readings today.
I feed my fishes once every 3 days and i vacum 50% of my gravel every other day.
Water changes are not easy at all for me because my tap water isnt good and i have to bring big amounts of water with my car from far away.
Fish in my tank look very well with apetite and moving around, my pleco has grown a lot since i bought him.

The last week or so i did 2 water changes of 25% but unfortunately my readings are still the same.

I also added sera bio nitrivec to help.......

Fishes still look very well and active!!!

Any help? any suggestions?

Thank you all!!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you really need to get a water conditioner to make your tap water safe and water changes a lot easier. youll be doing water changes a lot in the next two months, as they are the only way to keep the toxic ammonia and nitrite down with an in-fish cycle.

this stuff takes time. If you can get it, this product will help you out: Setting up a new aquarium: Ammonia Removal: One And Only Nitrifying Bacteria by Dr Tim's Aquatics
It's something that actually works. same maker of bio sphira.