New beta tank????

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Alrighty. I finally got Simon's new tank up and running. Yay! It's a 10 gal. tank, we're planning to put him in there with some cardinal tetras eventually. I added his new gravel and filter (Millennium 1000). I pulled all 9 gallons of water from his old tank and tossed in a handful of the old gravel as well. I put in an old plant and one of the big giant cave rocks and a couple items of decor, all to help with the bacteria load. So my question is, can I add Simon now, should I wait till morning, or do I need to actually run the tank for a few weeks?

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
yay!!! I had a good idea!!! I'm so proud of me! :)

Alrighty, I moved him to his new home. He seems happy, though kinda lonely. As soon as I get the nitrate spike I'm going out and getting the cardinal tetras to keep him company. (Plus that's just a waste of all that space to have a 10 gal. for teeny little Simon all by himself.) How many can I put in there? I don't want to overload the tank, but they DO like to school... and their colors DO look better when they are in bigger groups...? Also, do I need anything else in the tank? A bottom feeder or anything? I'd rather not if I don't absolutely need one (takes up valuable cardinal space) but I'm not sure, I've never had a tank this small.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i would only add 3 fish at a time, that way you dont overload the tank , too many fish at once will cause another cycle because you wont have enough bacteria to handle the new waste load, so i would have a school of 6 but only add 3 at a time, say 1-2 weeks apart.

means they are the ones that take 3 blood worms at a time run to the bottom and drop all but one, and then come to the top for more. thats what mine did. thats why i fed mine with tweezers. i could just pick up the ones he dropped and givethem to him. also some fish (not bettas generally) eat half of their food and leave the rest. also, i think you could do about 6 cardinals and 3 pygmy cories or maybe an oto instead with the betta. but you'd have to watch your nitrates.