New Betta, Need Help

jondub

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Texas
I just got a blood red betta from my lfs. This is my first and I decided to cycle the tank with the fish in it. My problem is it appears there is some kind of white spot on the outside of the fish's eye, almost like speck of something on it. I have a 5 gallon hex with a bio wheel by the way. I am also looking to add some more fish but don't really want to go with white clouds. What else should get to compliment my betta?

jondub

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Texas
His fins are also clumped when he swims. I was thinking maybe it was just the fact he is in a new larger enviroment but do not know. Someone please help.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
Sounds like he has some kind of infection fungus maybe. Ask your local store and describe what you told us. Bettafix is a good medicne if the fish is not very ill.

I do not recommend cycling the tank with fish as that can be very stressful. I recommend Bio-Spira, it is good bacteria you have to keep it cold so it stays fresh. Pour the bag into the aquarium with the fish. Your fish will thank you for it.

jondub

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Texas
Sounds good, should I also put some salt in my tank. He doesn't really act sick and when it was time for food he ate everything. Maybe I am just overracting, it is a small white spot maybe just the color of his eye. I don't know.

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
if his fins ate clupped together that is called Clammped fin he is stressed out and also has afungus going on. Please put him in a hospital tank and treat with a fungs med for about 1 week.
Clean out his reg tank really really well and fill back up let is cycle for a bout 2 weeks. 1/2 water change of empty tank and cycle another week your betta should be ok by then.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Nina, what exactly is it supposed to be cycling if their isn't a fish in there? Are you wanting him to add ammonia? If so he should know that. The way your instructions come across are that you just want him to fill up his reg tank and then let it sit there for a week, replace half the water and let it sit another week.

Jondub, you need to do a massive wter change and lots of dechlor. Make sure the temp is nice and warm. Do you have a heater? Contrary to popular belief, Bettas do prefer warmer water, they are tropical! Maybe keep the lights off for a couple of days and see if he settles in. Does he ahve planty of hiding and resting places in his tank? They like that. Bettas are perfectly fine being in an "uncycled" tank, you just need to make sure you keep the water nice and fresh by doing lots of water changes!

meanwhile, go here... www.bettatalk.com

jondub

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Texas
Today he seems fine, swimming fine and he his fins are fanned out a lot more. I think it may have been the shock from moving. And yes he has tons of places to hide, I have a cave and he loves to swim through and sit in it. I love him. The only problem now is that my water appeared cloudy today. I don't know what could have caused that. I am going to see if it filters our and if not I am going to do a 50% water change. He seems to be fine and is eating normally. The water temp is between 71 and 78 depending on what time of day. Should I get a heater?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Check your other thread. Next time, maybe just stick with one thread to ask your questions in (unless it is a completely different topic of course) that makes it easier for all of us trying to give you advise in.

Nina, I meant the amminia, not dechlor. He would need to add dechlor even if he wasn't cycling. In order to fully cycle his tank though fishlessly, he would have to add ammonia for the bacteria to thrive on. I say fish in on bettas, just do your water changes!