New Betta...recipe for disaster?

Whitney

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2006
Hi,

I've just added a Betta to my 30 gallon tank. The tank already had 6 harlequin rasboras, 3 diamond tetras, 1 german blue ram, 1 yoyo loach, 1 bamboo shrimp, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, and a bunch of cherry shrimp.

He's been spending his time hiding in the taller plants near the filter, and when he comes out he does a lot of posturing and charging at his reflection in the glass. At one point he charged at my shrimp.

Is this normal adjusting and he'll settle down or does it sound like he's particularly aggressive?

I have another betta that I put in a 6 gallon vase with floating plants and a small heater. I could switch them out, but I don't want to cause any more stress to everyone than necessary.

Thanks!

-Whitney

Attachments

Last edited:

Whitney

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2006
I don't know....the ram is really not aggressive......I was nervous about the loach, but he's been in there with them for a month and the shrimp all seem to be doing very well.....I had viewed getting them as an experiment.....what I want to know is if my other fish are in danger of being hurt by the betta.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Well look at it this way, the fish/inverts that you have together are not ideal tank mates. Therefore you are in jepordy of loosing fish. It may be fine for a little while but Shrimp are a natural food source for some of your fish and your fish are not the best of company, so......

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I agree with FishGeek. I think you know she's right or you woulden't have labled the thread the way you did. I would take the betta out, they are really not the best community fish, while it can be OK, I think the community you have is not a suitable one for them.

Whitney

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2006
well, I took him out....whole thing just made me too nervous

I now have him in a 3 gallon vase.....I'd rather have hiim in a tank with a heater and filter, but this will have to do.....he actually seems much happier.

Thanks for the responses. As always, they're appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited: