New Betta & Snail

LADYD

New Fish
Sep 1, 2005
hi im new to this i have a male betta and just put in a snail what do i feed the snail and does he move? what other fish can i have in his tank? i had a otto in it by it died the next day did my precious kill it or was he in shock? :confused:

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
What size tank do you have them in? Yes...snails move. Usually mine like to eat leftover food or I'll drop them an algae wafer every few days. Ottos really need an established tank to live in...otherwise he might have died from being in shock, or starvation or ammonia poisoning etc.

Have you checked your water levels? Did your tank cycle? And the chances of the Otto being killed by the MALE Betta are high! Bettas don't tend to like other fish (my female has an exception)... and i think males are TOTALLY not okay with other fish.. they get too territorial.. so don't put any fish in with him.. snails are okay! He could've died from ammonia shock like Froggy said.. therefore, check your water levels.. and if you haven't cycled your tank, there is a chance that *ahem* your Betta could die too.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Male bettas wont usually harm ottos, as ottos like to keep to themselves and are not usually in the way of bettas. Most male bettas are just fine to keep with a short list of other fish.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
No its actually not a "VERY short list". It depends a lot on the betta. You can pretty much keep them with fish who will stay out of their way (ie not compete for food or try to pester the betta) and fish who do not have long fins that the betta will see as competition. If you have a large enough tank there are many fish you could keep with a betta in a community setting. The only reason you need to watch out usually is because you're putting them in a small tank and there aren't many fish who are suited to live in a tank under 10 gallons while sharing that space with a betta.

Also, if you have a particularly mean betta (whether its male or female because some females have the same tempraments as males) even snails will not be safe with it.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Ladyd, like Froggy said, your snail should be fine. Betta's can make beautiful additions to a well planned community tank. Just keep an eye on things to see how precious interacts with the snail. He might be curious for a few days but that usually goes away. :)

One thing I would caution about, if you feed your snail a veg wafer, throw some floating flakes in first. Gary the snail got bit by accident when Billy the Betta decided he wanted some wafer too so now I distract him first.

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
does anyone seem to think that betta behavior is more a personality thing? i have gouramis and while not as aggressive as bettas, there are some that are peaceful and some that are the Charles Mansons of the Fish world.

I agree with Froggy though.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Why don't we all watch what we are saying and remember the announcement at the top of the page. That's not up there to fill space.

Betta's that I've kept have all had very different personalities. Some have been as mellow as anything, while others will chase anything that moves (or it thinks will move, or might move at somepoint in its life). Neat little fish none the less.

Really the only way to tell is by trial and error. See what works for you, and what doesn't. To my memory, I've not had a betta kill a snail, but have watched them pick at them before.

We all like to think we follow 'rules' when it comes to fish keeping, when really they are more like 'guidelines'. Often times we have to tweak them for what works for us.