New Betta & ...

eykis9

Large Fish
Jul 24, 2003
O'FALLON, IL
yesterday i bought a gorgeous red & blue male betta at the lfs (petsmart) & am just appaled by the condition in which petsmart keeps these fish! i've been in petsmart a few times here & for the most part, have been pleased with the store but i never paid any attention to the bettas. the last betta i had was a gift but he recently died, i'm not exactly sure how/why but i found him one morning in a piece of driftwood i have that creates a bit of a cave. anyway, when i went to find a ew betta yesterday i was shocked to find that they keep them in tiny (abt 8 oz) plastic cups filled barely half full of blue water. most of the bettas looked listless & sick! however, after some time i found one that looked rather perky and brought him home to his 20 gal tank. i just don't understand how pet stores can get by with keeping these fish in such deplorable conditions! if it were any other animal being kept in similiar conditions i'm sure they wouldn't be in business!

ok, i think i think i'm done venting now...

AquaticGem

Medium Fish
May 20, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
www.bettatudes.com
I hope you new betta has a long health life. Have you named him yet? Twenty gallons of water must seem like heaven to a betta who was kept in a tiny 8oz. cup! Does he share the tank with any other fish?

As for PetsMart -- Some stores sadly do keep their bettas (and other fish) in very poor conditions. Luckily, the PetsMart near where I live -while it keeps the bettas in those 8oz. cups- the water always looks clean, and I have only found two dead bettas there when I visited once.

eykis9

Large Fish
Jul 24, 2003
O'FALLON, IL
hi AquaticGem,

yes, i did my betta. his name is sebastion & yes, ck the tag line on message for my tanks other inhabitants.

as for PetSmart, i can understand them having to keep them in the little cups due to not being able to more than one in a tank however, it seems to me that they should use one of those betta barracks systems where the water is dripped in to keep it clean.