New Betta!!

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
SO Last friday after Flipper was gone and I told some people at work about his passing, one Admin said well you need to get another for there are alot out there that need us...SO at lunch I went to my LFS and looked at the Cup Puppies and there was this really nice Turquoise splendid and well he was zipping allover so I said ok lets go home.

So he came with me to work and I placed him in his new bigger home other then the cup he was in and he checked it out and in the tank I have a live plant that was Flippers and as I sit here watching hin, oh I named him "Snake" but I think I will change it to either "Zippy" or "Flash" or even "Dash" for that matter..so he goes by the leaves of the plant and when they just barely I mean Barely touch him he freaks out and zooms away.

Now is it cause he isnt used to things touching him or what? Or canhe be just super sensitive?

I'll post pictures of him in a few days. So also pick a name and let me know if I should change it from "Snake" to one of these..
"Zippy" or "Flash" or even "Dash"

Mar 7, 2008
sound like scratching. try some aquarium salt. mine was scratching a bit when i first got him. the salt calmed him down alot and brought out some color. he seemed happier. i had to use because i had a ich scare, but you can use a smaller amount of salt. i know cichlid man hates salt in tanks!!! he might be lurking in the shadows ready to get me!

i wouldn't recommend salt for a normal aquarium, just a tiny bit since there is some in nature, but for a betta i would recommend it. i don't think of it as a tonic as advertised, but more of a preventer of disease and such nasties when moving someone to a new home. you could use non-iodizesd table salt.

then again, not everyone would agree with me.

Apr 26, 2008
I like Dash :)! He seams to just be a ornery betta :D! My betta Blue Lighting is both sweet and ornery. Your betta will probably calm down as he gets used to his beautiful new home.

He is just trying to tell the plant who is the boss of the tank *laughingc !

Sticky Fish

Medium Fish
Mar 7, 2008
bettas dont need salt and really, it doesnt prevent any disease either
im gonna let mine scome out with water changes... though im sure the little that will still be there will be ok.

my betta loves the frozen brine shrimp. i feed him the leftovers from my other tank(i use a baster to feed them.) I'll drop one or two in there and he gets psyched.