new bta!!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i just picked up a bta and have a few questions.... first high flow or low??? and it hasnt opened up all the way yet but its about 5" is a half a siver slide good?? and how often???

oh yea and ill be posting pics soon of course :D

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Congrats on the new nem :)

Medium flow should be good. Put him in a crevice in the rock and turn off the powerheads so he/she can attach.

It's best to feed smaller pieces of food, 1/4" or less, so you'll probably need to chop up the silverside. Just put it in its tentacles, and it will grab it if it likes it. You can also squirt some mysis into its tentacles.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
lotus said:
You can also squirt some mysis into its tentacles.
thats the only way ive ever fed mine in the past wich is why i asked about the silver slides.... big al's didnt have any silver slides and wont be getting them in until weds. so itll have to wait.. oh yea how often??

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I feed mine a 1/2 of silver side a week. If the piece is too big it won't be able to eat it. Usually if the flow is too much it will move, but I agree up to medium should be fine. I read that they like to plant their foot on the underside of a over hang. Mine did this as well.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well silversides or lancefish are usually the best food for anemones, mysis will do but it provides less bang for the buck for these animals. They should be fed about once a week or every other week......a lot of anemones perish from overfeeding.....yes that is right overfeeding. You have a really nice healthy looking specimen. Do yourself and your nem a favour and wrap your powerheads in plastic canvas secured with zip ties until she is settled into the spot where she will hopefully stay. My first nem (which was bought without enough research was severly bleached) decided that any place in the front of the tank was bad and promptly hid out in the back in an inaccessible area and eventually perished due to the stress it was under when I got it. I have a gbta now in my 75g that I have had for over a year, it was the size of a quarter when I bought it and it is now about 10-12inches across when expanded.....this one also liked the back side of the rock work though it is in a good spot to feed. I feed it a good sized piece of silverside once a week and it gets what ever mysis etc are floating by. It has also been known to feed on the bangaii babies as the male usually spits the babies within a couple of inches of the nem and I have seen the poor things caught up in the tenticles....c'est la vie......

I have also a lta which I have been nursing back to health....was bleached to a peachy colour when I got it and now it is a dark brown with hints of green and purple to its tips.......nice comeback. It also gets pieces of silversides and it has 2 clarkiis hosting.....who feed it constantly

Do you have clownfish that will host your bta? I have two percs who won't go near it and have no interest what so ever in it...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well there is no guarantee that they will even go near a bta......some never do....like mine. Is this a green bta or could it be a touch rose? Bta's like to bury their foot into a rock crevice.....and if unhappy they will move. So cover your powerheads and keep your fingers crossed she is in a happy spot.....with good light as they do need fairly high lighting....