New Cichlid Tank

GT3050

Medium Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Visit site
Hi,
I am new to cichlids; although I have been helping and learning from a friend of mine who has kept fish for a while. None of my friends have much experience with cichlids. I am interested in starting a South American Cichild tank. I have a few questions to ask before I start.
My tank will most likely be a 33 gallon kit (the aquarium is 36x12x18). I have several filter options and I'm not sure which one is best. I could mount a AC300+an AC150. This would be the cheapest option as the AC300 comes in the kit and I can get th AC150 from a friend. My second option is a single AC500, this would provide me with slightly more flitration; however I would only have one filter and I'm not sure if the current would be too strong around the intake (this might suck young cichlids into the intake). My thrid option is the most expensive, a fluval 304, mabye with the AC300. Too many options .... sorry if that's hard to follow.
My other questions treats the subjuect of stocking. I am aware that I could probably keep a Convict or Firemouth pair in the tank; however I would perfer to keep a Blue Acara (or a pair if possible). I was also considering a solitary Green Terror or Jack Dempsey. One other option I've been considering is a pair of jewel cichlids. I'm not sure if these fish will fit in the aquarium though. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Apr 15, 2003
markandlacey.com
The fish are good suggestions, and I find myself in the same situation as you. I have a 40 gallon tank that I need to get things for. I ended up getting a fluval 304 and a penguin 170. I thought about convicts alot, but if you get them, wouldn't be able to have anything else, and they will destroy any plants, plus they have a zillion babies. I havn't decided what I want to do, I am thinking about keeping mainly dwarf cichlids in the tank, a bunch of blue rams, and some other semi-peaceful ones. Then at least I can get a few bottom feeders and get more then just 2 fish for this semi big tank (in my tiny room hehe).

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Blus Acara will be fine, though I'd give the green terror or jack a miss else you'll end up with a single fish tank. Blue Acara + pictus cats + gold nugget or L014 would make a nice tank.
There are plenty of other nice mid size cichlids too look at, but you need to see some photos, descriptions to get a feel for whats out there. Don't go for anything above 15cms normal max for this size tank, and see whatoptions you have

dana307

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Massachusetts
Filters -- I have a fluval 304 and a powerhead for my 30 gal and it works great. Clean water. Good current.

Cichlids -- I have found firemouths to be the on the less aggressive side of semi aggressive. Nice fish and pretty. My T bar cichlids have also proven to be quite nice. The male is a bit of a bully towards the female right now but that could be mating stuff. T bars are different looking with their stripes and quite active. I have vowed to stay away from Dempseys and Oscars for the benefit of the rest of the tank. My tbars and severums are aggressive enough. Severums are also neat.