new comer and water quest.

Jun 6, 2005
hi everyone. im new of course. and i have a question.
we(my husband and i) bought a tank(10 gal.) and set it up. then bought some fish yesterday, 2 fish to be exact(and im not sure what they are. i think one might he some kind of sword something or other lol and the other i dont know what it is. and today we noticed that its a little cloudy. i read up on it a little. and i found it could be the food. or cause that happens sometimes when fish are put in. but i want to know what someone else thinks. please let me know. thanks
abbs

Last edited:

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
Because it's a brand new tank, it's going to be cloudy. I would lurk around this sight and read up on:

cycling
bacteria blooms
and testing your water.

Those are only 3 of many topics you need to know about to do an aquarium, but I am sure that if you really like the idea of having an aquarium then these three topics will get you addictted to learning all you can, but it's a good start. Buy a freshwater master test kit as well other wise knowing what cycling is but not knowing if your tank is doing it is pointless. Good luck and keep us posted.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If you'd like to save some money...the only test kits you really need right now are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits. Usually the dropper test kits (like the aquarium pharmaceuticals ones) are a bit more reliable, cheaper per test and have easier to read results.

Welcome to MFT :) Discus is right on...you should check out some threads on cycling your tank so that you know what to expect and then be sure not to get anymore fish for your tank while its cycling. Try this one for starters: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19568