new empty 5ft tank need help

dean1397

Small Fish
Dec 21, 2007
united kingdom
hi i have just upgraded my tank from a 2ft tank 2 a 5ft tank but it is sitting empty and it looks huge compared to the old one so i need some help please i would really help me so i am open 2 all ideas weather it be through the email ask for my email adress hope to get some hints soon dean *SUNSMILE*

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well since properly cycling your tank can take a while. I'd decide on your substrate, and if you want it to be planted or not. And get that started. While the cycle is going, you can decide on what your stocking is going to consist of.

-Jay

dean1397

Small Fish
Dec 21, 2007
united kingdom
thanks

well thanks for that bit of starting infomation i am looking at a 64 gallon tank and yes i do want it planted we are going back 2 the uk for 3 weeks would i be better of starting the cycle before i go and letting it do it while i am gone or wating till i come back dean:)

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well, that depends on if you believe in doing water changes during the cycle or not. If not, then you should be able to start if before you go, and it might just be ready when you get back.

Find a post from "MissFishy" to get a VERY good article on cycling.

-Jay

dean1397

Small Fish
Dec 21, 2007
united kingdom
will do

thanks for that i shall have a look and maybe i will start it before i go hopefully it should be ok when i get back thanks*celebrate is ther anythink i shouldnt do or put into my tank before i go*GOLDFISH*

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Thank you, how nice to say. :) If you're still reading, I would suggest getting the ammonia and adding a bunch of it to the tank, then turning the heat up to about 84 while you're gone. When you get back, the tank will probably be near through cycling or have a head start on it. For the article, check out the link in my signature for more specifics.

dean1397

Small Fish
Dec 21, 2007
united kingdom
thankyou so much

thanks alot i will take a look at that website i am shure it will be just as great as this one as this is helping me so much cant wait to get back now lol and start playing around with it *celebrate