New Fish Feeding

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I have 3 new fish in QT that are being picky... They aren't eating Formula 1 or 2. The cardinals are going after it, but just spitting it back out. I'm having a little better luck with frozen "marine cusine" which has brine ,mysis, etc. The goby is starting to eat this, but the cardinals still spit it out. Any ideas what I can do to make them eat? I've tried soaking the cubes with garlic with no luck.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
My banggais don't seem to like anything other than straight mysis. They'll eat brine shrimp, but of course that's not very healthy for them. Mine have never eaten flake or pellets, even the babies! They also tend to be a little shier than other fish, so it may take a few days for them to eat.

You could ask the store what they were feeding, in case there's something they were eating there.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
How long is it since they ate (assuming they were eating at the store)?

I remembered that mine also eat frozen bloodworms, but I'd see what the store was feeding before getting more stuff they might not eat.

Are there any live foods available to you?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well, I ordered them online so i have no way of knowing. They do have a 15 day guarantee so I'm assuming they didn't send me crap fish. I do not have any live food available so I'm out of luck there. What about these instant baby brine shrimp or a hatchery? I could get one shipped up overnight or something like that.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Mine never showed much interest in baby brine as adults, so I doubt that will really work. Keep trying, they may still just be settling in.

They're also naturally nocturnal, so you could try feeding after lights out. It's always worth a try.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I tried feeding after the lights were out for a while last night. I'm not sure if they ate or not as I couldn't really see. It looks like they might be eating the smaller pieces of mysis. Do you think it would be worth getting frozen brine?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
my cardinals are not so picky they eat anything and I have even seen them eat flake. The baby, well not. He just picks at the cycopeeze or mysis that I spot feed him in the sump.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Will cardinals starve themselves? Occording to the LFS where i got them they were eating mysis and I'm not sure why they won't take it. I know they are hungry as they eat it right as i put it in the water. Then they spit it right back out. I might try brine shrimp... I don't have a way to get live though. Brine shrimp are smaller, right?

captbill

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2008
I got a picky clown rite now only 2 days in tank he eats brine and spits out then got some mysis and spitting out I figure when hes hungry he will eat...just like my kid they will eat sooner or later!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Check the one not eating to see if his jaw looks swollen. It's possible they're a pair and have already mated. Males holding eggs won't eat at all (and will show a swollen jaw).

If no swollen jaw, often once one of the fish starts to eat, the other one follows the lead and starts to eat too.