NEW FISH FOR NEW TANK

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We unsuccessfully put new fish (a couple of corydoras catfish and a couple of guppies) in a new uncycled tank a few weeks ago. Since then, we have added bacteria to it as well as stones from our cycled tank. Today I also rung out the dirty filter cotton over the new tank.

I am wondering if it is okay to add new fish yet, and if so, what kind should we add? We don't plan on adding more than a couple because we want to save lots of space for baby guppies that we are expecting sometime in the future.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hi Capper, welcome to MFT!

You need to use a test kit and see where your current cycling is at. No ammonia, no nitrites, and a bit of nitrates (20ppm or so) and you are good to go!

All those things you have done to add bacteria is great! It's hard to tell if you are all set to add new fish until you know what your levels (above) are at.

Good luck!

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
Thanks for your quick reply. I checked the PH level and it is between 7.5 and 8.0. I checked ammonia and it shows 0. I checked nitrite and it shows less than 0.3. I do not have a nitrate kit. What about a couple of plattys or mollies? Are they strong fish to start off with? The tank is our second and only 30X30X25cm.

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
f8fan,
i used to live in Milford, ME, right down the road from Orono! I gotta get to bed here (in Tokyo) but let's catch up later!

capper