New fish getting ich.

Apr 21, 2005
Houston Texas
I just got a powder brown tang about 2 weeks ago and when i put him in the tank he got ich which every fish does because of stress.It went away then came back.It was real bad yesterday.So bad that we thought he was going to die.He is looking a little better now,but i was talking to my fish guy and he said that there is some stuff that you can add to prevent ich and it is reff safe.I was just wondering if it is true.Because i dont want to go thought what i went though when i added that kick ich crap.Everything else is doing real good and we have not had aby problems with the tank.I got one more thing to ask.I have a coral in my tank and i dont know what it is but it is real big.It has been looking strang latley.It does not look sick are anything.What do the corals look like when thay split.Thats that only thing i can thank that it is doing.Here is a link to the coral. http://seeker.theuncle.com/charlie/pics_188

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
how many fish in the tank have ich and how big is the tank?

Id suggest maybe setting up a qt tank, just because adding medicine to the main tank can be bad for inverts and such... but if its reef safe it should be ok. How long have the fish had ich?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
looks like a Euphyllia commonly called octopus coral or grape coral...when they divide a new head will grow next to the old one and form a sort of elongated oval which will become a kidney, then eventually a figure eight shape, which will then split off completely and there will be two heads. best way to see if that is what is happening is to look when the lights are off

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
I agree with OCCFan, I would setup a QT tank, and get him out of there, so that you don't disrupt your coral. It'll be much easier to treat him, when he's alone, then to have to worry about what chemicals/treatments can or can't hurt your coral.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
one thing i tested for 2 fishies that have shown signs of marine ich : Selcon. So much vitamins it boosted their immune system and in 24h it was gone. The 2 fishies didn't had ich at the same time. Probably the protozoans were in the substrate waiting for another host. My firefish had a pretty bad case of white spots, and if you see it on his face and body, this means the gills are already attacked...leading to suffocation.
You drip you food in a ridiculous amount of Selcon and it could help. At least it's good for their health and is reef safe...if you just can't catch the fish.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I am wondering about your statement that all your fish get ich and it is a reaction to stress when you add them. While it is true that ich occurs as a result of stress it IS NOT true or normal for everyone of your fish to get ich when you add them to your tank. I have never had any fish get ich. THere are two possibilities for your problems here.
1. you have a lousy LFS and your getting ich from there.
2. THere is something wrong with your tank which is causing the fish to stress out and get ich.
I would recommend figuring out the problem and correcting it before adding anymore fish.

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
quarantine tank with copper is the only thing thats ever works for me. you could also try hyposalinity, which is gradually dropping the salinty to .17 (i think). but if you can get him in qt with copper would be fastest and best.

camaro: is a Euphyllia also called a frogspawn. yer def. the expert but i think that pic of his looks like a frogspawn, i ve seen them with pink tips like that and i would love to get one. Im just curious for my own knowledge, If im looking for that coral what should i be calling it i was told it was a pink tipped frogspawn?

neway chuck good luck with yer ich. My tang(ich magnet) infested my whole tank, i ripped all the fish out treated them with copper in the qt, and in the meantime it left the ich without a host in the main tank and eventually it died off and after the fish in the copper tank were better i put em back in the main tank and BOOM no more ich. Since then i have quarantined almost everything before adding it to the main tank. I agree withe aresgod also there is a reason everthing that you put in is getting ich....good luck man also ive noticed that if you dont quarantine and catch it fast and rip that fish out it will save alot of other fish dont wait for thetang to get better in that tank, i would get all the fish out and treated asap

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
euphyllia is a scientific name which encompases a variety of corals including torches, frogspawn, hammer, octopus/grape...they all require pretty much the same care

there is debate over whether frogspawn and octopus/grape coral are the same because the only discerning factors in Euphyllia are the polyp structure, skeletal structure remains the same. In my experience, most places refer to the green/purple fariety as octopus or grape (for obvious reasons) and the white as frogspawn

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
In the past I usually do not recommend garlic which is suppose to treat ich and other parasites...well now I do. the product is called garlic elixer by ecosystems and its roughly $20 bucks a tube...put it on some nori and the ich goes away.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
I have also tested garlic. It worked for me for a tang that had black spot. It went away in about 3 days and it never returned. The product I use is called Garlic Guard I believe.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Dont use the kent stuff...it sucks, Garlic Guard is made by Seachem so its probably alright, with that being said Kent has a good line of products usually...

Apr 21, 2005
Houston Texas
The strang thing is that mt tank got ich and gave it to my fox face.well the ich on the fox face is gone but the tank is still holing on to it.I realy dont have the cash to get onother little tank to put the fish in the kill the ich but im goin to try the garlic and see what that brings.Thanks for yalls help

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
ten gallon tank- $10
something to cover it...maybe some eggcrate, a glass top, or something diy- $5-$15
a powerhead- $10-$15
pvc for cover- $1
just toss a couple pieces of LR in to seed the tank...its really a simple and inexpensive process...

take the rock out before you medicate--you could try hyposalinity or copper

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i agree with what everyone else has said. get a QT tank, give it a freshwater bath, dose with copper. it's a really good idea to let your frozen food "marinate" while it thaws in some selcon and garlic. that way it absorbs into the food and into your fishies' bellies.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Yes garlic gaurd... I've used this product for ich in the past and have been pleased with the results. Just soak your food in it overnight.

I recall posting about ich a long long time back and stated about using garlic and I can't remember who it was, but they said it wouldn't work. Well thanks all for proving me correct in this post. (lol)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well I used garlic inthe past and most everything died, so I think it's hogwash. I like copper and or hypo (down to 1.010) , preferably in a QT tank.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
wayne said:
Well I used garlic inthe past and most everything died, so I think it's hogwash. I like copper and or hypo (down to 1.010) , preferably in a QT tank.

Did you use really garlic juice? If so you have to watch your PH levels i here.

And did you add directly to the tank or just soak your food over night with the juice? I don't see how it killed everything unless you put large amounts of garlic in at one time.

I have never had any bad experiance with garlic, sorry to hear about yours hope you didn't lose to much at the time!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It wasn't the garlic killing anything, it just didn't do a thing for ich. I soaked the food in garlic juice plus a vitamin supplement. It was this experience that really rubbed in the value of QT and tried/tested meds for me.
Whenever effectiveness of garlic has been polled elsewhere it's come back pretty mixed. Also the more experienced the hobbyist , generally the lower success rate. This is probably as they've seen more unsuccessful cases thanthose people who (think they) have had ich once, treated it and it's succeeded.