New fish in the tank

Apr 18, 2010
I have a 60 gallon saltwater tank with 80 pounds of live sand and 92 lbs of live rock. I am using two 1050 gph koralia powerheads(new design) and I also have a rena canister filter and a rena smart filter with the 300 watt rena submersible heater. It has been up and running for 3 weeks now and I just added two clown fish last night and they went straight to the bottom corner of the tank and they are staying there. The bigger one ate a little bit last night but nothing today and the other one is not eating nothing. It has been only one day. They both seem to be breathing hard and the smaller one stays in the same area and sometimes goes on his side. I have checked everything yesterday and today and it is reading where it needs to be. I have two cleaner shrimp, 4 mexican turbo snails, 5 hermit crabs and a lawnmower blennie. They all are doing great. When I turn the lights off the two clown fish seem to move alot more. I would appreciate any advice

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Did you run any tests before adding the fish? Possibly still cycling? Did you see the fish eat in the store? BTW id ditch the canister and smart filters and get a protein skimmer instead!

Apr 18, 2010
Tre

I did run a test on it a few times for a couple of weeks before i put them in there. The last test I did was this morning and it still is reading the same. I did not see them feed the fish. I will make sure that I do that before buying anymore. I never thought about that. I bought a protein skimmer and will get it tomorrow actually. You think I only need to use the protein skimmer.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
in saltwater the liverock does most of the filtration... the other filters will actually do more harm than good over time trapping nitrates

you said you ran a test... what did you test for and what wer the results?

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
And what type of skimmer did you get? Hate to say it but alot of them out there are junk.... Rule #1 take the LFS advice with a grain of salt! Theres a few good ones out there but at the end of the day ther in it to make money which usually doesnt benifit you!

Apr 18, 2010
Let me check on the brand of the skimmer. I never did get an amonia spike. In your other response I am using the API brand for the testing. Do I need to test for anything else. You are right about everyone out to make money because I have been told so many different things I am so confused.