New fish

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on what I should get for my fish-only. My air conditioner broke and I lost my prized Harlequin Tuskfish and my adult Rock Beauty.

Right now I have a Yellow Tang, Bursa Triggerfish (small), adult Clark Clownfish, and three stupid damsels.

I am looking for a bright, personable fish that may be a little harder to find, a little pricier and can go with my trigger and tang.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
something to eat the damsels maybe ;) sorry to hear about the loss though...its always crappy to lose a fish, and its worse when it is a totally external problem

i think i should add, I think this is the first time you've asked a question...how does it feel to be on the other end of the exchange for a change?? lol

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well...ive looked around a bit, a couple FO guys that i found intriguing were the Dragon Wrasse, Annularis Angel, Threadfin Butterfly, Mertensii's Butterfly, maybe Anisotremus virginicus. I dont know about triggerfish compatability, but I've always liked the niger trigger...not rare or unique so much, but a nice fish i think. could go with an eel of some sort...no reason to stick with a common snowflake...but i dont know if your rockwork is setup for that

ive always liked the powder blue tangs, and they are definitely bright, but i reckon with the other tang thats probably a no no

if it were my tank, i would try to look for something which was blue...but im partial to blue fish...

hope that is of some use...just my thoughts, bearing in mind that i haven't kept any of these

Last edited:

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
Depending on the size of the tank you're putting this fish into, and your meaning of "flashy", an angler would make an unusual addition. Maybe a Sargassum Angler?

I was thinking the same as camaro about the eel too. Although they spend most of their time hiding, they tend to add character to a tank with a bit of rockwork. I've been on a search for a Spaghetti Eel myself.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Phantom- My Yellow Tang is really aggressive (almost 6 inches long)he has already killed a Purple Tang so...I would rather not get a tang from the Zebrasoma Genus.

Camaro- Yes, it is a little different to be recieving advice then giving advice...good to have other peoples opinions. The butterflys won't work because of the Yelloy Tang (also killed a Lemon Butterfly). I like the idea of a Annularis Angel, ill look into it.

Nutfarm- Well, I just added some Fiji Damsels so an angler might eat them. However I am planning on setting up a nano with one of these guys.

Fishandchips- The store that I work at has a Orange Angler. However it is about the size of a small football, and will eat anything in front of it. It also costs about $300 so...I probably won't be getting it.

Thanks all for the replys.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well...I decided on a fish. A gray Angel from the Carribean. Now before anyone trys to shoot this idea down. I sent an e-mail over to Bob at wetwebmedia. We agreed this is a slow growing angel that wont outgrow my tank for a few years.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would have picked some other medium sized angel instead, a Chaetodonplus, or Apolomeichthys. What`s the motivation for the gray?
What about a non Zebrasoma tang. You`re sure no chance with an auriga or other large butterfly?
Coral trout?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Hmmm...well I have always loved the French, but it is so rare an expensive I decided on its close relative. I have tried a few species from tthe Apolomeichthys, but they died. Chaetodonplus get about the size of the gray so they also would need a bigger tank. Butterflies...no chance, and an Acanthurus will become stressed and stress out the Yellow.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Chaetodonplus seem to max out at about 8, Grays 18 ? Grays, French are much bigger. The last Apolomeicthys I saw for sale, a xanthurus, was one of the healthiest looking fish I have ever seen, though it was only two inches.
I think the Gray will quickly outgrow your tank. How big is the tang?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well, my point was Chaetodontoplus need a bigger tank as well. You wouldn't put a Scribbled in anything under 125 gallons. The Xanthurus is the one I have tried...itrs also kind of common so...i don't really want one.

Also I haven't bought the gray yet. Just thinking about it.