New fish!

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Well the LFS has had him for over a month and it's fat and happy so that leads me to believe it eats frozen.. He's in there going to town right now.. He's eatin the crap outta rods food!

Last edited:

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I bought one from my LFS about two months ago and he was doing fine for the first month and we havent seen him the last month. He could still be in the tank but I have been changing the aqua scaping in tank the last few weeks and still I haven't seen him, so I think he might be a goner. The LFS guy PROMISED me he wouldn't starve to death in my tank, I am bettin he was wrong. I hope you will have better luck.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i love mandrins but they always die! ive tried several times and the long i had one was 6 months... only way i would buy another is if i seen it eating frozen before i dished out the money ;)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no they are sexed at birth. The best you can do is to buy another and hope you get a match......I lost one of my breeding pair and I would love to get another but just can't bring myself to introduce one in case it isn't a mate.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
I think they say the way to tell is the jaw is more box shape on a male.. As far as the mandrian yea he was eating frozen lastnight.. I got some Rods food and he seemed to take a liking to it! Like I said the lfs had it for a month and it's still fat so that's a good sign it eats food other than pods