New- getting Bettas - questions

Oct 14, 2005
Hi,
We are going to be getting bettas and have a couple questions.

I have a large vase 1 3/4 gallons, my son has a 2 gallon bowl, and my daughter will have the happiest betta of all in her 5 gallon hex.:cool:

We have well water so we don't need a declorinator, do we need to do anything to the water?

Bettas come in those small cups can we put them right into the water? Do they not have to float/acclimate like other fish?

Are the smaller tanks to small to add a snail? Do we have to wait to get snails until the tanks have been set up awhile?

hmm.. I thought I had more questions. If I think of them later I will post them.

Thank you for your help, the lady at the pet store said all I needed was a little water.:( If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't know any better.:(

Oct 14, 2005
Well, I treated the water because the guy at the fish store said I should but will I really have to keep doing that??

We did float them and they seem happy to be out of their little cups they are swimming all over the tanks.

What about snails? Yea or nea in the smaller bowls? Do we have to wait to get them?

Anyone??

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I wouldn't recommend adding a snail in the vase, but it would be OK in the 2g or 5g tank.

As for the well water, most dechlorinators also detoxify heavy metals, which are common in well water. Unless you're using reverse osmosis on your well water, or have had it analysed and know exactly what's in it, I would add the water conditioner. It's not very expensive, and won't do any harm.

Oct 14, 2005
Utah
You dont need to dechlorinate the water but there is special bottles like stress coat that you can put in it does not just dechlorinate but also adds special bacteria that fish need but pretty much bettas can live though enything.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I should think you'd be OK with a snail or two in any tank,aslong as it's not a huge Apple.Some of the Mystery snails are nice.
It's still a good thing to treat your water even though it's from a well.You don't have to worry about chlorine but there are still metals and stuff that a good water treatment will lock up and make safe.
You did the right thing floating them for a while.You should always equalise temperatures and PH. lvls before releasing your fish.