New girls....

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Cute girls.

Watch for territorial behaviour, girls do fight too. In breeding tanks they mostly get along because they are too crowded to establish territories, but in smaller quantities they do nip and chance till one hides all the time.

Keep an eye on them. Lovely!

Fizgig777

Large Fish
Nov 7, 2003
NYC
www.goldfishparadise.com
They're very friendly... No fighting, no territorial displays, no fighting for rank.... I've found that in heavily planted tanks, such behaviors are very rare... These two have plenty of room to avoid each other if they choose to -- they seem to be together all the time, though...

Thanks for the feedback!

Fizgig777

Large Fish
Nov 7, 2003
NYC
www.goldfishparadise.com
Thanks Iggy....

I've found that females which get along from the beginning as mine do, rarely turn on each other even when older. Adding another female into the mix does cause the two "friends" to turn on the new fish, though....

Last time I had female Bettas, there were three in a heavily planted 5.5 gallon. They got along VERY well. Had them for 3years without a nipping incident.... Then, two of them fell ill and died so I added a new female to keep the one left behind company... No dice there, the new girl was killed off in two days. They're odd fish that way.... Knowing all that, I don't have any concerns about Ruby & Opal not getting along later on.

Thanks for the info., though! It's so cool how no two Bettas are alike, no?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
True, I am glad you posted your history with your females. I often worry about the females I sell to stores, I know a lot of people keep them together in community tanks, so I pray they get along and don't tear each other apart.

Ya, its true, no two fish are the same, there are always exceptions, however I always give advice on the side of caution.

Fizgig777

Large Fish
Nov 7, 2003
NYC
www.goldfishparadise.com
Don't blame ya, Iggy.... Many people keep Bettas in all sorts of wrong conditions. They don't want to understand that they're not compatible with all community fish and then get annoyed with the fish for doing what nature designed it to do. I personally take time picking them out -- putting the containers next to each other to see how they react or watching them in the tank to see which ones get along, etc... If more people took the time to observe and get to know the species they want to keep in their aquariums, maybe the fish would have less traumatic lives.... IMHO...