New Guarami In New Tank

I have a fairly new 29 gallon tank. I am going to be completely honest here- it's not completely cycled. That being said, I was told that it was good enough to start adding a few fish here and there, so that's what I've been doing.

I had 3 guppies in there that I bought about 2-3 weeks ago. Then, I bought an opaline guarami and now all the guppies are dead. To make matters worse, I can not find one of them and I'm sure he will mess up my levels if I don't find him and get him out of the tank. Anyway, I'm wondering if it is common for reg. guarami's to eat smaller fish such as guppies. He already ate my baby guppies (one of the guppies was pregnant when I got her), but I was not surprised by that since they were so small.

So, would you say that I should take out the guarami if I want any more guppies? Or do you think they were just too sensitive to the fact that the tank was not completely cycled yet? The other fish are doing great in there- I have the guarami and a couple of mollies, and I am changing the water every other day and trying to get it cycled before I put anymore fish in it.

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
I doubt it was your opaline. It was more than likely the water levels. Something that I have noticed is that guppies are very sensitive to everything. Especially pregnant ones. I doubt also that it was just the opaline that ate the fry. It was probably everyone in the tank. A 29 is big enough for the gourami, even if it is a male, for him to get his territory. I wouldn't worry about him too much just yet. Since guppies are inexpensive, I would get a few more and watch it. If it is the gourami, I would suggest getting something bigger.

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
Sorry to hear about your guppies. :(
Gouramis and guppies are compatable tankmates, so I don't think that your gourami would eat your adult guppies; however, since gouramis are omnivores, it doesn't surprise me that he ate the guppy fry (even the parents will eat them).
Guppies are rather sensitive to water conditions (although, I've had some that have gone through hell, and still lived pretty long lives), so it probably does have something to do with the fact that the tank isn't cycled. How are your water levels (ammonia, nitrItes, and nitrAtes)?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Your gourami wil be less sensitive to nitrite poisioning as he can take oxygene directly from the surface (like betta's)

Likely your guppies died from water conditions... do a good clean-out and if you don't find any bodies, just do an ammonia and nitrite test on your water to make sure it's OK before you add more fish.

Thanks guys... I guess I don't have to hate my guarami just yet, haha... I mean, those guppies were very unique and nice looking! Oh well, though, it seems I have only myself to blame.

About my levels, I did an ammonia test yesterday and it had risen from .5 to 1- most likely because of the fish I can't find in there! Today I'm going to take out all of the plants and rocks and everything and see if I can't find that guy before he kills all my other fish.

I will definitely wait to add more fish, especially guppies, until the tank is cycled.