New hardware recommendations

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well, I guess it's time to start the search for additional hardware i'll need.....for now. I think this is all I need hardware wise to get it up and running.

List:

- New skimmer
I still have my bakpak2 but i don't think it will handle the new sized tank. Since i'll finally have a sump I want one I can put in there.

- water pump
I was looking at the mag drives since they seem to get decent reviews. I need a pump to pump about 6 feet at the most. I got a megaflow kit with my tank. Not sure of the actual flow rate on it yet. I'm assuming around 600?

- Lights
I can still use my MH and VHO I just need to get 3' vho bulbs instead of 4'. I would like to get another timer or two. I'll need to shorten my night lights too!

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
how much u looking to spend on the skimmer? a mag 9 should work fine after u consider the head loss, if your still looking for other equipment: phos reactor, dj power strip, new bulbs, and as im sure u kno its like a never ending list :p
btw what ae u doing for your sump? already got the tank? how about a fuge light?

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I thought since I had all my old stuff I wouldn't need much. BUT, your right I can make a very long list of new stuff. It looks like I need to spend almost $200 on a skimmer. I can get a dj power strip from my brother in-law. My MH bulbs should still be ok, but I need 3' vho instead of 4' bulbs. I'll just need to shorten my reflector too AND build a canopy.

I'm getting my 65 gallon on Thursday this week. My sump is a 15 gallon tank that I already have divided up into 3 sections. I have a decent PC fuge light that I think will be enough to cover the fuge section of my new sump. I forget the specs on it, but it work great for chaeto. I was thinking a mag 9 for the pump, but I want to measure the distance when I get my tank and sump on the stand. I might need the mag 12.5.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
I would just get the mag 12 and if its to much you can get a gate valve and just turn the flow down.. its always better to have the option to have more flow if needed ya know? When my 150 was set up i had a small return pump and had to close off half my drains b/c the pump couldn't handle it.. HTH

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
remeber if u get a larger pump n throttle it down your wasting electricity not to mention you dont want to be pushing the drain to its limits anyways, you will have a hard time keeping quiet and controlling microbubbles

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Good point... I have to pump the water up 5 1/2 feet. The return pipe is 1" so I'm trying to figure how much gph i need on the return.

I did upgrade my skimmer with a maxi-jet do you think it could handle 80 gallons? To start anyway... The only thing I need to fill the tank is a pump so that's highest priority.

Here is my plumbing list:

-5' 3/4" vinyl tubing
-5' 1 1/4" vinyl tubing
-3 ball valves? 1 for drain and 2 for return? Should I plumb with the tubing or should I use PVC pipe?

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the skimmer will work until the tank is fully stocked... u could always just add a second bakpac or remora or something (you could usually find one used for around $100 on reefcentral)

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to get the sand, water pump, and remaining plumbing supplies first. Then I can get the tank functional with a cycle going. Then save up for a in sump skimmer. Now i'm debating what size sand to add.