New here! Just saying hello!

AudiCQ

Small Fish
Nov 28, 2007
Hollywood, FL
Hi everyone!
I have been lurking for a few days, and thought I would post to say hello.

For the past couple of years I have found myself unable to look away anytime am aquarium is in sight, I just cant! At the dentist I arrive extra early just to sit there looking at theirs. The other week the GF and I went to the Rainforest Cafe and as my luck would be, we ended up right next to their aquarium. I spent the entire time planted to it, practically ignoring my food, and worse, the GF...
So I decided to go ahead and get one myself.

So right now I have a 10G, hood w/ 2 10w fluorescent lights, 15lb's of white gravel, and some decor.
I'm waiting for UPS to bring me a penguin 100gph filter, visa-therm stealth 50w heater, digi thermometer, master water test kit, water treatment, and a few more misc decorations.
Once I have everything, Ill fill up the tank and begin a fish-less cycle.
Ill post photos when that happens.

As for fish, I have not decided on what fish yet, but I am thinking about a few Tetras, and maybe toss a snail in there. What would be a safe number of tetras for a 10G if I only toss a single snail in the mix? Or no snail?

I already wish I had a bigger tank, but I cant get anything bigger until I move back north. So another 1-1.5 years with a 10G and then move up to a 50+.

Ill probably be asking questions in the next few weeks when I cant find or cant understand something when I search.

Talk to everyone later! *thumbsups

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Welcome to MFT!
Sounds like you're well on your way to getting that tank up and running. :D

As for stocking advice...
You mentioned tetras---any specific kinds you had in mind? There's quite a few different types to choose from, so it helps if you can narrow it down a bit. As far as the snail goes...well...snail or no snail---that's up to you! There's certain fish they may not be so fond of (ones that'll try to eat them, for example), but this won't be the case with your stocking plans (i.e. for tetras). IMO the bioload added by a snail really won't be an issue for you at all. I'd stick with one apple snail, if it were me.

So now you get to play the waiting game while the rest of the stuff gets delivered, eh? Hehe...and on top of that you'll need to wait for the tank to cycle, lol. Things should fall right into place by about Christmas time though, so I suppose it's worth waiting for. ;)

BV

AudiCQ

Small Fish
Nov 28, 2007
Hollywood, FL

I'm really leaning towards Neon Tetras. The ones that are red/blue.
Thats great news that the snail wont really effect the load! :D
Hopefully it wont hide out of sight.

All the packages are arriving late next week. I cant wait! *BOUNCINGS

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Neon tetras are pretty sensitive. Make sure your tank is stable before you add any. I also hear they're mass produced, so unless you get some quality neons, you might also want to look at cardinal tetras. Personally, I think 6 is a good number.