new idea for curing a large amount of rock

i had an idea for curing a lot of rock that i will soon be purchasing with my christmas money. i thought i could go buy some UGF plates from wally world, and run them reverse flow. someone posted a video in the lounge with the mullet guy, and he said his LR secret was from the flow from the bottom up. i fugured this would be better than going out and buying a couple powerheads, and not knowing if i have dead spots. i will also be getting my lights soon. when those are in, i can put my old ones over the LR in addition to whatever else i can rig up. all this will be inside a large rubbermaid container in my basement. while all this is going on, i will be saving for a cleanup crew. when i add the rock to the main tank, i will get my crew.

any suggestions on specifics with the crew? also, i want to get a skimmer. i was thinking of getting it while the rock was ccyling, and letting it sit in the rubbermaid and growing, and stuf like that for however long it takes me to get the skimmer, and then resave for the crew. sound like an okay plan?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
YahooFishKeeper said:
is it okay to leave the rock in the container longer than the cycle takes so that i can save for a skimmer and the crew?
why would you wanna leave it in there longer than needed??? if its cured add it to the main tank .... as long as theres lights you can leave it there as long as u want.... and for the cleanup crew what are the tank specs???

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
FYI... you should have a skimmer going while the rock is curing.
Your not going to get an "even flow" unless you have an elaborate set-up of powerheads.
Water flow isn't the highest thing on the list for curing rock anyways... mainly curing is getting rid of the dead matter n such off/out of the rock and sometimes less water flow can help with that.... and lots of water changes so the nitrates don't kill any wanted things on/in the rock.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I agree and besides exactly how much is a large quantity? that is the question, if it is under 100lbs you should be able to keep it in a tub and just do waterchanges....keep a couple of powerheads going and a skimmer and you are set and it shouldnt really even stink if you keep up on the waterchanges.

umm... you guys are missing what im getting at here...

im just asking about the crew, and if this UGF is a good idea.

and tre, the tank is a 30 gallon long. i have a built in fuge area, and that contains abou6 a 6 inch deep sand bed. the main tank area has a varying depth due to currents. the minimum is about a centimeter deep, but only in one area, and another area that is about 4 inches deep. the rest is pretty even at around 2-3 inches. right now i have about 8 lbs of live rock that came from my ten gallon when i upgraded. i am shooting for about 30 lbs of rock total. i will purchase the cleanup crew after the rock is cured, so that i dont have like a bazillion hermits, and snails runing around on my sand bed.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i dont know about u but i rather get poewrheads (sure it cost more but worth the investment) *about $15 for a 230 GPH powerhead sounds great*

im also getting a bowfront tank so flow would be mathematically better @.@

my friend has a round one and its like a whirlpool....