New Larger Tank, what to do before setting it up?

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Hey guys,

I quite possibly may be coming into possession with a much larger tank than what I have now (10g). This isn't definite, but if that's the case then I'm really anxious right now and am already trying to find out all of the information possible. Our finances aren't the best, so it will probably be a long term project... but right now I have a few questions.

1) Supplies
Aside from a standard test kit, which is already on it's way for my existing tank, what else should I get? I don't know how old the equipment is, is it usually a safe bet to just replace the filter? And if so, are there any that can handle that size tank that are also on the lower priced side? Same goes for a heater too, how large of a heater should I get for the tank?

2) Lighting
What kind of lighting should I get for the tank? I know the tank has a hood, but I know there are two different kinds of lights that you can buy... maybe more! What kinds of lights should I buy that will be healthy for whatever fish / plants be in the tank, but also light the tank up NICE so the fish' color is brought out nicely?

3) Gravel
I believe I have seen this being dubbed "substrate". How much should I get? What color should I get that will also play the best with the colors of everything, making the tank look extremely visually appealing? Since I'm sure it's a good thing to plant some kind of plants, should I get anything else? Or will gravel be fine?

Is there anything else that you guys can think of? Help me get this started with a bang please!

Thanks!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
1) If the tank comes with a filter, just change out the media (sponges, etc.) and rinse it well. It may not be ideal, but it might get you up and running. If it comes with and undergravel filter system, don't use it, they're old technology and not the best. What you'll need depends on the size of the tank... you don't say what size. For heaters, you'll need 3 to 5 watts of heating power per gallon. If you live in a cold area or the house is cold in winter, closer to 5 watts per gallon would be better.

2) Lighting gets very expensive for a good setup for plants. Power Compacts (also called Compact Fluorescent) are the usual choice for a planted tank. NO (normal output), regular fluprescents might be OK for a few easy plants.

3) If you're going for a natural look, black or brown-toned gravel works well. Sandblasting sand is popular with some people, and it's really cheap. Planted substrates get expensive, figure $15 or more per bag for plant substrates. Some of the colored gravels (blue, pink, etc.) will start to flake after a while, even if you can stand the color!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
for the filter plug it in and see if it works but I can't suggest any size or kind of filter since I don't know the size of the tank. I'm looking for good lighting myself so can't help u there either. I love sand for a substrate. it compresses and holds the roots great and is alot cleaner. say if u put 4 inches of substrate in the tank. about 2 inches in general will be on the glass. with sand it stays clean and fresh looking but with gravel it will look dirty from all the bio waste. but those are just my opinoins.

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
for the filter plug it in and see if it works but I can't suggest any size or kind of filter since I don't know the size of the tank. I'm looking for good lighting myself so can't help u there either. I love sand for a substrate. it compresses and holds the roots great and is alot cleaner. say if u put 4 inches of substrate in the tank. about 2 inches in general will be on the glass. with sand it stays clean and fresh looking but with gravel it will look dirty from all the bio waste. but those are just my opinoins.
I'm sorry, I thought I listed what the size is. For some reason I think it may be a 55 gallon tank... I know it's about 4-5 long and about 3 feet high or so... not entirely sure... I may not be even getting it. Also, when you guys say a planted tank... even if I just put one or two plants in there, does it count as planted? Does a tank even need live plants? I know when we purchased our first fish, the guy told us that fish like to nibble on plants... so we bought two. They're doing fine, their roots are growing, haven't really had to trim because I haven't seen any dead leaves... but I didn't notice any fish eating them! Are they necessary?

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Hey guys,

I have confirmed that we will be getting this new fish tank, and it is somewhere between 50 and 55 gallons. I'm also curious:

How would one clean such a behemoth of a tank? I'm sure for all of you professionals that's cake, but I'm curious how this would work... I could only imagine placing it into the bathtub and seeing how that goes... but a 55 gallon tank is going to be massive to get in there, and even drain... any suggestions? What should we clean it with? No soap, obviously.

I look forward to your responses!

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Yeah I haven't thought about that... perhaps I could take it somewhere so that I could clean it outside... though the only place I know I can do that would be in a concrete parking lot at my fire house. While cleaning it outside would be easier, I don't necessarily know if that's feasible in my position...

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Also, what about cycling? This tank is going to be cycled the right way. I will be doing fishless cycling... but I'm not sure what the best way to start is. I've been trying to read up on all of the guides I possibly could, but they aren't as easy for me to follow.

If I go the ammonia route, what kind of ammonia am I purchasing, and where can it be purchased from? How much should I use for a 55 gallon tank, or at least how do I know what to start out with?

What about media from an established tank? I have gravel in my 10 gallon tank, would I only have to use a little bit of that? Or would the huge size difference be a waste? Would the same go for the filter I'm using?

Thanks again!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Hey Punk! It sounds like you have an exciting new tank adventure coming up! I'm jealous! A 55gallon tank is a common tank size, so that is probably what you're getting. If you're a bit confused about cycling and basic equipment, take the time to read through the link in my signature, it has some basic beginner information. If your 10g is already cycled, you should already have a jump start! For info, check the link and then come back and ask any questions you might have. :)

Mhira

Small Fish
Jun 19, 2007
I orbit around my Betta bowl.
I cleaned my 55 in my apartment the old fashioned way- sponges!!! :) Unless the dirt is really caked on, you should do fine with a bucket and a few towels. Just make sure you use aquarium cleaner, not bleach or anything like that. :)

Beijos

raduque

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2007
I usually clean tanks outside, I have no idea how I'd do it if I was in an apartment. :)
I cleaned my 55 when I got it (it was previously a saltwater tank that hadn't been taken care of in probably a year) in my apartment by putting about 8-10 gallons of hot water with some vinegar (just a few oz, not really a whole lot) and scrubbed the HECK out of the glass with a sponge. Then I drained the tank using a 3/4" (inside diameter) rubber hose, lifting the far end up on the edge of the stand to get the last bit of water. The gunk that was left on the bottom of the glass was removed using a paper towel. I then filled it about half-way, stirred up what was left and targeted it with the hose again, draining it down to empty, and wiped down with a paper towel again. Took me about 3 hours to do it all told.

There's some pics of both the cleaning here. Click on the two galleries that mention the 55 gallon tank.

Last edited:

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Does anyone have any preference (links would be greatly appreciated) for what I should get in regards to specific filters, and heaters? I'm not sure how big of a filter I need to get or how many gpm. I have no experience with canister filters, and they seem to be a bit pricy... is there a distinct advantage between canister filters and HOB's? What about heaters?

Thanks!