New lighting options

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm starting to look into some new lighting options. I looking at T5, PC, and Metal Halides fixtures. I realize I should go with MH if I can, but I have a few questions about them. You can get either the MH fixtures or the MH w/PC lighting fixtures. Is this what I should get? I have also been looking at the PC fixtures that are about about 384 watts. I would like to go with both daylight lamps and actinic lights. Moon lights built in would be a plus, but my DIY fixture would still work just fine. I think that they come built in for almost all fixtures anymore. Let me know what I should start saving for.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i would just save up for the MH so you don't have to upgrade again.. go with ones a little bigger than you should so when you get a bigger tank you can still use the same lights! just my opinion

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
The MH provides most of the 'clout', so if you're on a budget I always recommend a quality 'barebone' fixture. The PC are just there for actinic supplementation for aesthetics, and the moonlights even less valuable.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Even a bare bones m/h fixture is expensive. Unless you are a diy then you can build what you want. I just like the neat compact look of the current fixture also the ease of built in fans/timer/and wiring makes it a nice choice though an expensive one.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I did build my own moonlight fixture. It provides all the moon light I need. So I still not sure what I want to get. I do agree that having the fixture with everything built in is quite convenient. I still have a while to go before I can afford anything.

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
(2) on/off switches and (2) 12'power cords (one for the actinic compact lamps and one for the LED lamps);

I can tell you from experience(helped friend on his headache/project) that buying a fixture and making your own isn't much difference in price. Look into the price of ballasts... higher end ones IE: ICECAP, can be pretty spendy... then you add on the time and headache of building everything....

If you plan on going the route of stony corals then go with something with halides, otherwise they really aren't needed for softies.... softies rely more on the "K" rating... along with your nuisance algeas :)

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Stay away from some of those on ebay as they tend to be fire hazards....jebo odessey etc. If I was spending $669 I would go the extra $30 and get the outer orbit with the t5's for more wattage and convenience...also the free shipping.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
the only thing i have noticed about mh lights is that they dont make the water look the same, all the pics i have seen with mh lights dont seem to show off the full colors or corals and fish and whatnot, it looks so bland compared to some of the pc lights i have seen on tanks. just my opinion.