New Liverock Questions?

Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
This new Live Rock that I got has all kinds of things on it I posted a pic of the things that I dont really know what they are please someone help! The guy at the lps told me that these are a type of a anemone is this correct or not he said that he didnt know what Kind it was. The reason is. I put it in my tank last night and It looks like it is doing great and moving wonderful in the curents. But when a crab or something come near it Some times turns real dark brown and falls over like it died and then come right back up.

The reason Im asking about this is I told the guy at the lps that I wanted to buy a clown that he had and he said that it should do just fine if the anemones are doing fine. ????? so whats up

BTW: Here is what my last test was:

Ph.8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite .40
Nitrate 20.0

is this still good?

Oh yeah one last thing for tonight is the redish looking stuff growing on my live rock good the guy at the lps said that it is great for the tank. Like I said before the rock has been in there tank for 7 months now. So its good rock.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the reddish stuff is encrusting coraline algae, the brown things are aiptasia anemones...those aiptasias will become a major PITA if you dont kill them now (at least that is my opinion). You can't scrape them off or anything though...they just make millions of them that way...you need to inject them (that at least is what has worked for me) with some sort of solution to kill them; there are a range of ideas going from boiling water to ammonia. Personally, I use lemon juice and it seems to do the job. other options include chemicals designed for just this, liquid calcium, and a few others which i dont recall.

also, i wouldnt say that just because those anemones are alive that a clownfish would be ok. those damn things will live through just about anything

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the coraline is good...it will inhibit the growth of other nuisance algaes on the rock...unless i suppose you dont like the red color then it might be bad...but generally it is deemed good

the aiptasias just spread easily ...especially if you have a lot of nutrients in your system...which makes them a pain

Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
Well as far as the coraline and the red color I like it thats one reason that I bought it also for its color.

Now the aiptasias there are a few little ones that look like the big ones are they also aiptasias. Then there is something that is Whiteish/clear that looks like a jesters cap got any Ideals?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the little ones are aiptasias as well...just little aiptasias...the whiteish thing which looks like a jesters cap i dont know...sometimes ive seen an aiptasia curl up its tentacles and kind of look like that