New Lobster

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
So i just put an electric blue lobster into my tank yesterday. First off he took the cave that my dragon fish had built and slept in there all night. When i went to find him in the morning i moved the cave, he ran out and now hes been doing nothing but terrorizing my fish. He has injured one of my dragon fish (it is limping with only one fin) and now him and that dragon fish are fighting. I am really not sure what to do about this fighting, please help.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Sounds like hes nothing but trouble...perhaps you dragon fish was king of the castle..and now the lobster wants to overthrow him. As for stopping the fighting...I'm not to sure there. From what Ive seen, if fish dont get along at first, they never really do.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
There is nothing that can be done unless you remove the 'Lobster'. You introduced a 'fish' that does not fit with your tank. I advise researching and making sure waht you buy will work out in the future ;) Im sry for being blunt.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
they actually have seemed to stop fighting at the moment, the 2 dragon fish are in one piece of terrain and the lobster seems to be in the cave that they made.

I have a couple of days before i have to return it, so if i notice any more fighting ill return the lobster.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Yes it's going to be stressed, because of the new tank, and no, it probably wasn't very happy you woke it up. But if its willing to take on one of the dragon fish...it will probably always be willing to take one of them on.

However, don't take what I say at the definite truth, please wait for more opinions. If I'm wrong here, I'd rather you wait for another opinion than take what I think to heart right away, and go get rid of a "fish" that you really wanted.

and oh yeah, welcome to the tank!!!

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
thanks. As of the past few hours they have stopped fighting and the lobster seems to have lost any interest in the other fish (the two dragons and a few feeders). So at the moment I am pretty hopeful that its a new take/interaction thing instead of an incompatibility issue.

also thanks for the quick reply, the other fish forums i tried posting at were no help.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You probably have a "crayfish" not a lobster. Generally crayfish should not be kept in tanks with other bottom dwelling fish. Crays are predators/scavengers and will eat anything lying around on the bottom that is accessible.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
yeah your right it is a crayfish, one of my friends pointed that out just a few minutes ago.

i am feeding bloodworms, is there anything different i should get for the crayfish?

also if i do end up returning the crayfish would dragonfish eat shrimp?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I highly recommend getting a sinking shrimp pellet formula to use as a staple diet for your cray. Anything else he scavenges from the bottom is fine. Supplementing on occasion with vegetables will be greatly appreciated by your crayfish as well---just make sure they've been rinsed thoroughly beforehand.

BV

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
i put in an algea pellet every now and then for my sucker fish.

what kind of vegetables would be appropriate?

As well as an update on the situation: I havent seen the crayfish all day today either, the dragon fish have been roaming around so i assume he hasnt been out. Is it just going to sit in a cave all the time?

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
The cray and the dragon fish appear to be getting along well together. They havent been in a fight since that day, and im not really expecting them to get into any more.

I got a food clip so as to clip vegetables to the bottom, however im not sure what to feed him. I was suggested lettuce, but i wanted to make sure i wasnt putting anything in there that would be bad for any of my fish. I have 2 dragonfish, the cray, and a couple of little feeder fish.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
For veggies, I would think lettuce should be just fine.
I tend to use cucumber and zuchini, but your cray should readily devour whatever you put in there.

I'd love to see pics of the cray and the rest of the setup sometime. ;)
BV