New MarineLand Pillar Tank / 6 Gallons

missnikki

Medium Fish
Feb 13, 2011
I got a new Marineland Pillar Tank (6 Gallons) for Christmas from my boyfriend. I told him I wanted a small tank so I could have a fighting fish (beta) and maybe a couple small bottom feeders. *twirlysmi (no fish in there yet)

I want to do things right, so I am going to wait about a week or two after filling it to add the fish. Do you think this is the right thing to do? My fish store people tell me that I can just throw a beta right in as soon as I fill it, but I want to play it safe! I have seen "new tank syndrome" too many times when my boyfriend added new fish into his tank ...

So, I have gotten some stuff called "Stability", however I do not know how much I should add into the 6 gallons of water, as it says to add 5 ml for each 20 gallons of water. How much Stability should I add to the water in my 6 gallon tank?

Also, it says to turn off UV/Ozone when I use Stability. Does that mean just turn the lights off in the tank when I do it?

Another question: I see Fighting fish (Betas) all the time in the particular store I shop at, but there are always dead ones, and also I don't really like how they keep the betas all alone in bowls sitting for hours on end under lamps ... is this normal practice in aquarium stores?

Thanks for your help.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday. :)

Sep 19, 2012
Clearwater, Fl
In major stores bettas are kept under very harsh conditions like you thought. I wouldn't put other fish in a 6 galon tank for a betta. They are very territorial. Most sites say that you dont need to cycle a tank for a betta but I beg to differ since I have had a first hand experience with it. No matter what always cycle a tank. Keep in mind that cycling is not just letting your tank sit for a week. The chemical you are refering to as Stability is just another worthless bacteria supplement. It is worthless because most of the bacteria in the bottle is already dead and will not work.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have a male betta in a couple of my community tanks with no problems. Although I realize they can be territorial, I have not seen this and they get along well with platies, neons and mollies. Otos have also worked very well but you need to remember they need algae and an older tank. You only have 6 gallons and it would be important not to put more than one or two smaller fish with a betta. And above all remember all fish have personalities and it isn't necessarily the betta that would be the aggressor - I have had mollies that were. More frequently the betta it just the defender.

missnikki

Medium Fish
Feb 13, 2011
Thanks!

How often should I do a water change in my 6 gal tank while cycling it with no fish? Also, is it absolutely necessary to add ammonia to the tank if I am doing a fishless cycle?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yes, you need to add a source of ammonia. That's what starts the cycle. Having said that, there are other sources of ammonia beyond what you buy in a bottle. One member here uses a piece of shrimp as his ammonia source.
Do you have a test kit? That's what will help you determine how often you need to change the water - after the tank is cycled, you should do a water change any time the nitrate exceeds a reading of 20. With my 5.5g that housed a betta and shrimp, I did a 50% water change every ten days...but it all depends on how much you feed, how the tank is stocked, whether it has live plants, etc. That's why a test kit is important.

missnikki

Medium Fish
Feb 13, 2011
Thanks Laura. Do you have a biofilter in your tank with the betta and shrimp? Someone told me that when I get a betta, it will not like the filter because it moves the water around at the top too much ... The only reason I got the tank is for a betta so I hope this isn't true.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I honestly don't know what to say about the filter. It probably depends on both the fish and how big of filter it is. Some bettas don't seem to mind water flow and will play in the bubbles - others find it more difficult to swim and stay away. Is the water flow in the filter adjustable?

missnikki

Medium Fish
Feb 13, 2011
Edit: So, the tank has been set up about 3 days now with Stability in it and the heater regulated to 78. Trying to get it down to 77 because I hear that's ideal temp for Betta. Waiting to either get biomedia from a friend's filter to transfer into mine for fishless cycle, or I will go get my Betta and put him in my tank to get the cycle really going. Does this sound like a good idea? LoL ...

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Honestly you could do either way - the betta will have been living in a foul little bowl of water when you get him, so moving into 6g of heated clean fresh water will be good for him. Just change out a gallon of water every day or two for a few weeks while it cycles with Mr. Betta; he isn't going to create that much ammonia unless you are overfeeding the bejeezus out of him. Less water changes would probably be fine as well, a test kit would let you know exactly where you're at but without one it's better to do overkill on water changes.

A handful of gravel or a fake/real plant borrowed from an established tank will do the same thing as the biomedia, it will bring in a little bacteria that will then multiply.

Keep in mind that the betta is probably at room temp, so bring him up to 77-78 slowly. That being said, they are pretty hardy fish considering what most people do to them.

It should be obvious, but I'll say it anyways - either cycle fishless with an ammonia source (bottled ammonia, decomposing shrimp or fish food, etc) or use the betta as the ammonia source for a fish-in cycle - not both.

missnikki

Medium Fish
Feb 13, 2011
Thanks! I got my male thai betta the other day. I chose him because of all the bettas in the store, he was the only one blowing a bubble nest at the top of his bowl. He seems happy in his new digs, although I would like to find a way to cover the filter intake as I'm worried it might bug his fins when he swims by it ... he seems to love chilling by the heater especially! The floating log I added is also one of his fave spots.

Here's a couple pics:

castamere1.jpg castamere2.jpg castamere3.jpg

Last edited: