new member here

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
I am so glad to find this forum. Did a lot of reading here and elsewhere before joining and found lots of good information. I look forward to learning more with everyone. I have a 46 gallon bowfront and I am new to fishkeeping. Sapphire

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
Hi FroggyFox.....they are beautiful tanks.
OCCFan, so far just added the Bio Spira and then 5 platies....one was acting funny on the start and died 3 hours later. Do you think I need more to start with? Water is testing fine, but just added fish yesterday. How long do I wait to add more?
thanks for your help, Sap

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Usually with Biospira you're supposed to stock the tank fully...you wont have to deal with as large of a cycle. If you want to stock slowly...I wouldn't add any more fish than a few a week or every other week to allow your bacteria to build up. Depending on which store you got your platies from, they'll usually exchange a dead fish if it dies within a couple of days and its not because of bad water in your tank.

I like all of the fish in my 46 :) Especially the hatchets.

What kind of filtration do you have on your tank?

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
I have the Emperor 400 Bio Wheel filter.....lots of $$ it seems but I wanted the best I could get and not have to worry so much about it. I am going to look at the hatchlets you mentioned.....never heard of them! I am 45 minutes away from the pet store so driving that far to get a replacement for the less than $2 platy with the gas as expensive as it is would really be silly.....unless I decide on adding a few more.....:))

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
There's different kinds of hatchets too....there are the silver/white kind like i have...and then there is a "marbled" type that are gorgeous. I couldn't find any when I was looking though...they're kind of a black and silver coloring.